Thinking about getting a gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of the California spearos use 50-55 inch guns.

JBL D7 Carbine Spear Gun (D-7)

Little bigger than what you were looking at, same aluminum construction, great quality for entry level. LP has free shipping too so the cost would be about the same.

terrible quality, i broke one of those in half over my knee once. the handle is made of cheap plastic and the gun maybe shoots a foot if your lucky, with effective range. dont waste your money.

Spend a little more, rob allen is a good choice. a 90 cm will do you just fine and also doesnt have the awful slide ring setup for the shooting line on the SHAFT ( rod.... no) and its actually made well. JBLs wood guns are nice, some of the metal ones are too but buying some cheap POS from leisurepro that you wont hit the broad side of a barn with will leave you frustrated, with a useless cheap gun that has no resale value if you decide you dont like spearfishing.

How about something like this?

Cressisub Geronimo Elite 95 Speargun Reel Line Complete New w Warranty | eBay

Would be used open water, scuba, flounder, maybe grouper....

The geronimos are ok. But for what you want to shoot with it, a 6.5mm shaft would get turned into a pretzel very easily by a big fish or hitting bottom with it. I dont mess with reels on scuba at all, I prefer to line or freeshaft my fish. for what you want to do... id go with AB biller, a 42 or 48.

Do you really want to chest cock a spear gun while on scuba? If you want to hip cock a gun make sure your band pull down is to a point where you have strength and leverage to get it loaded.
Diver hunters select bigger guns with more mass for the added accuracy that comes with less recoil.
Shooting a longer distance with accuracy is a good thing unless you have such limited viz that your gun is now too long for conditions.
Do you want your gun to float or sink with the shaft out of the gun?
My recommendation is to select a gun with a SS trigger mechanism, SS safety, spring steel shaft and case hardened spear point.
I personally prefer wood over a pipe/tube gun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom