Thinking about making the switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about making the switch. I probably fit the category of “open water tech wannabe” at least for now. Although I am thinking about taking some cave classes eventually, right now my motivation is different. I am currently using a jacket style BC and I have been exploring a back inflate option. As long as I am going back inflate, I thought why not go BP/w. My other goal is to reduce my travel weight/bulk.

With those goals in mind, I am looking at the DSS Kydex / Stainless Steel BackPlate and the 17 lbs Tropical Travel Wing. That appears to be plenty adequate for most tropical diving with an AL 80.

I recently spent 9 days in Coz diving with Aldora and using their steel 120s. I expect to be going back there frequently. Do you think that the DSS Kydex / Stainless Steel Back Plate and the 17 lbs Tropical Travel Wing would work with those tanks?

Second question: Is it a reasonable assumption that I should be able to drop 2 pounds of weight by switching from my bulky jacket style BC (Oceanic Prob).

Thinking about making the switch. I probably fit the category of “open water tech wannabe” at least for now. Although I am thinking about taking some cave classes eventually, right now my motivation is different. I am currently using a jacket style BC and I have been exploring a back inflate option. As long as I am going back inflate, I thought why not go BP/w. My other goal is to reduce my travel weight/bulk.

With those goals in mind, I am looking at the DSS Kydex / Stainless Steel BackPlate and the 17 lbs Tropical Travel Wing. That appears to be plenty adequate for most tropical diving with an AL 80.

I recently spent 9 days in Coz diving with Aldora and using their steel 120s. I expect to be going back there frequently. Do you think that the DSS Kydex / Stainless Steel Back Plate and the 17 lbs Tropical Travel Wing would work with those tanks?

Second question: Is it a reasonable assumption that I should be able to drop 2 pounds of weight by switching from my bulky jacket style BC (Oceanic Prob).

Wing Size is primarly a function of exposure suit buoyancy, and I don't know what you are using for a suit.

Not sure what "120's" you will be using, but most common "120's" are about -11 lbs full.

(There are some 120's that are much more negative. Know your tank.)

Add a regulator (-2) and and Kydex plate and Harness (~-2) and you are at -15 lbs already. That's a bit close for a 17 lbs wing.

Assuming you are using thin (3mm) suits and staying with the 120's a better choice would be a kydex plate and a LCD 20 wing.

Tobin

I've used my Kydex plate for Al80s, Aldora's 120s, and double Al80s with no problem.

I've used the TTW17 for Al80s. For me, it's bare minimum lift for those tanks (I like to be able to get my chin out of the water on the surface). I don't think I would like it with steel 120s. But I use my DSS LCD 30 with those tanks, and it works great.

The Kydex plate is a good option for diving heavier tanks, but I'm not sure a 17lbs wing is enough lift for 120SS tanks. If it is, it's on the edge, so make sure you can swim the thing up. A 17lbs wing is sweet, but a 30# wing is more versitle, and not that much larger, especially in weight or pack ability!

So the bottom line is, if you are diving ONE wing initially, does the 17lbs do what you need it to do, and from what I read the answer is no.

For doubles the plate is perfect, and a new wing would be needed.

If you are thinking of tech diving, a BP/W in general, or diving doubles in the future DSS makes some great stuff.

The down side is that they are on the higher end price wise compared to a standard BC. If multiple wings is a goal, and since you are not already in a back inflate BC, DSS is on the top of anyone's BP/W list (or should be) IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom