Thinking of Retiring in Belize..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I welcome any and all information and input good or bad about what life would be like to retire in Belize. I"m thinking of investing in some property in a year or so and going from there.
:idk:

Hey Terry

You should head on over to Ambergriscaye.com and use the message board theres loads of info there and way more people posting that actually live in Belize and you can find some good info.

Belize can be challenging living there and the best scenario is to take an extended trip there prior to retiring and see of you like it before investing. its great for a holiday but not everyone can adapt to another country where things can be very different.

Also depends where in Belize you want to retire.

Gaz

Terry, I retired here about 5 years ago. Gaz makes a good point. Prior to that time I had spent 20 years living in Asia, Australia and Africa so found it easy to adapt to Belize. Before I came to Belize to take a look around, I had spent more than a year researching possible retirement destinations. After I prioritized Belize as the best potential destination I did what Gaz suggested - came to Belize and travelled the country to make sure it was really the right place. I settled on Placencia as the place to go because it fit with my diving interests and because it is on the mainland and because there are so many attraction close by that I can drive to. If you have not already done so, you should go to Retire in BELIZE - Belize Retirement Incentives Program to check out the Belize retirement program. If you have additional questions, you can contact me at ralph@splashbelize.com.

You should come and live here for at least 6 months, preferably a year, before you commit to any large expenditure. You will soon find that all is often not what what it appears here.

check this out. I just had this sent to on facebook a couple days ago

Sanctuary Belize

I don't really know much of anything about them. I had made a post on FB on how i was thinking of retiring there (except i'm only 44 so got a few days) and someone saw that and sent me that link.

Thank you ALL for you input! I'm going to do exactly what you recommend.
I'm all too aware that things are not always what they seem. Made that mistake
once in Hawaii.
Once again Thank You and any more input from others is welcomed.

Hi Terry,
I was in Hawaii when I got your message. Had limited time to respond as I was there for a wedding and family etc etc.
I've lived in 3 countries outside the US. Belize is probably the easiest to adapt to, compared to the Philippines and Malaysia. My first impression when I came here after 13 years in SE Asia was that this is much more like the USA.
If you love the water and nature, there aren't many better places. My only complaint is the insects. You do get used to them, but the sandflies, doctor flies, mosquitos, beef worms, black flies up in the mountain regions....a lot of bites. I'm in the process of building a little screened in house for cleaning fish when I come home in the evening. That'll help. hah.
But, it's not cheap here. Hawaii is more expensive but food, fuel (US$5 per gallon for gas), electricity are expensive and everything you bring in, you have to pay duty on.
It basically comes down to what you make of it here. If you don't get into the diving and water scene, it's easy to fall into the "rum and coke" for lunch crowd and do the burned out Gringo in Belize trip.
Or, you can do a total health trip here. No fast food temptations. lots of fresh fruits and vegetables...and fish if you can get it on the reef.

I also lived in Hawaii for 9 years (5 years on Oahu and 4 on Kauai) and loved it. It's not a lot different here in many regards. Probably more like living on Kauai or Molokai....but no surf.

Terry, here is another thing for consideration....Panama.....we were there about a year ago, explored, but not enough, and are going back asap. Diving is available, mountain hiking, lodging, medical care is superb, and you can live with the locals, or hole up in an american enclave.....make your choice. Cost of living seems very reasonable compared to the US. Give it some research and decide for yourself.......we are also going to AC near the end of the year. By the way, Panama does not have the huge bug problem.......LB

I'm also considering moving abroad. Just not sure how to accomplish this.

I have questions ranging from getting citizenship, to healthcare, and how do I get my possessions to the new location......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom