Thinsulate cleaning options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SB members. I have been told it can be difficult to wash / clean thinsulate. I know it is very sensitive to fabric sofeners and I enjoy the under-garment's insulation. Just the little aroma that is starting to form that I would rather not tolerate.
Is it safe to use a spray of some kind? There are washing instructions on my CT 200 but my wife uses fabric softners in the washer. Thus my dilema.
Anyone have experience cleaning thinsulate? Any advice would be welcomed.
Thank you.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I have had no problem when using laundry detergent made for babies and infants. It has no dyes or perfumes as is very gentle on any fabric (I'm sure there are also hypoallergenic detergents that would do the same). I use cold water and wash my undergarments only on the "delicate/hand washing" cycle. I wash my thinsulate, under armour and capilene (patagonia) garments all in the same load and then hang them all up to dry (on an accordian drying rack in my laundry room).

Gets rid of any funk, odor and what not and keeps them looking good as new. I have not hand any bunching, wrinkling, loss of thermal attributes or pilling as a result.

My results may not be the same as you might have but I have had no problems at all :D

Oh... I do NOT use any fabric softeners as they are not recommended.

Woolite works well too. Don't dry it in the dryer though unless you have it on the "air dry" low or no temperature setting.

Definitely no fabric softeners.

Greetings fellow SB members. I have been told it can be difficult to wash / clean thinsulate. I know it is very sensitive to fabric sofeners and I enjoy the under-garment's insulation. Just the little aroma that is starting to form that I would rather not tolerate.
Is it safe to use a spray of some kind? There are washing instructions on my CT 200 but my wife uses fabric softners in the washer. Thus my dilema.
Anyone have experience cleaning thinsulate? Any advice would be welcomed.
Thank you.

Cam, I found a product called Sport-Wash. This is information from the Sport-Wash web site.

Why Sports Wash Is Effective: Its secret is that unlike other detergents designed to leave brighteners, fragrances, and other residue behind, Sport-Wash rinses completely. Nothing is left on your clothing to clog the pores of your fabric. Cotton, wool, and synthetic materials and left completely clean. Insulation like down, Thinsulate?, and Hollofil? fluff up for maximum warmth. And even difficult to clean sportswear materials such as Gore-Tex? have their waterproofing and breathability restored.

Total Rinsability: The total rinsability of Sport-Wash? leaves nothing behind to smell, clog, or radiate UV glow from brighteners. While Sport-Wash? does not contain phosphates to "brighten" your clothes, you'll find it does not need them because on its own it leaves fabrics cleaner than any other detergent.

unlike other detergents designed to leave brighteners, fragrances, and other residue behind

Who knew there was this much crap in common detergents, let alone crap DESIGNED to be left behind???

Thanks, MSDT Mark, that was good info for washing things besides thinsulate etc. Going to check my laundry soap now!

I've had success using a couple of capfuls of vinegar in a gentle wash cycle and then laying the undergarment over the clothes line to dry.

Thank you all for your generous advice! I think the reason Msdt Mark is so determined is because I ride with him to the quarry! Ha! Ha!
I have a funny story about under garments that would leave a residual effect where ever they went! But that is for another time. Air quality is not just for compressed air!
I appreciate all the advice and thanks to all who took the time to post. My wife and children will be grateful for your guidance. I always hang my under garments under the ceiling fan in our living room to dry / air out! It was not to bad at first but has become more interesting in current days. Now I will wash and all will be so much better!

I have a 400 g for years now..Wash in gentle cycle and same for dryer..make sure you do a rinse cycle at least 2 times.If all detergents are not rinsed out the garment would not keep you warm if it gets a bit wet..One of the benefits of a 400g DUI thinsulate garment is that it will keep you reasonably warm if it gets wet so you can do you deco stops in relative comfort.Not as easy in other undergarments.Not doing deco dives ,then its not big deal if you leak a bit and get cold,just get out of the water and get dried off.

Can you use bounce in the dryer with the undergarment? Considering it's just air dry low and not washing into the fabric?

Thanks,

MG

Can you use bounce in the dryer with the undergarment? Considering it's just air dry low and not washing into the fabric?

Thanks,

MG

Fabric softeners and dryer sheets destroy your clothing - thinsulate or not - and should be avoided at all cost.

Back
Top Bottom