thirsty and thirty feet under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In western countries dehydration is a problem with the population.The drinks are predominantly diuretic and people don't drink water.Water is essential to most of our bodily functions.In fact,in New Zealand,doctors say that as much as 75% of the population is in a state of permanent dehydration.Problems like Kidney stones,headaches,constipation etc can be helped by drinking more of Adam's Ale.Good thing you found out.
Cheers no longer sore headed Ears,
The liberally soaked,
Gasman

Gang,

I have been away and have had a few personal items that have requiered personal attention--so I missed this thread.

Mario, the Mad, mentioned a little brass device that fits in the second stage. It is a heat exchanger that cools the exhaled air and condenses the moisture. You can buy a second stage that already has one of these: the Sherwood Oasis. Both Barbara and I have been using these for the past two years and we love them. They are probably not for you cold water divers, but we have used them deep (150'--that's deep for us) and had no trouble.

Joewr

Another problem may arise when dehydrated : DCS
Of course while dehydrated you tissue perfusion won’t be as good if correct hydrated causing less off-gassing ( as you know perfusion and diffusion are important regarding nitrogen off-gassing)
This means that dehydration is a risk factor for DCS.

Never go diving without drinking ( non-soda and non-alcohol drinks ) before, between, after a diving.

Be careful when wearing dive gear in the sun : sweating can be important ( even leg sweating while gear is opened up on top may cause significant )
Vomiting, diarrhea can also play ion important role in dehydration .

if dehydration occur symptoms will be :
1. A dry mouth with sticky mucus membrane in the mouth.
2. Decreased urine output.
3. Sunken eyes
4. Wrinkled skin which may lack its normal elasticity and sag back into position slowly when pinched into a fold.
5. Fatigue
6. Dizziness, confusion, and coma
7. Low blood pressure
8. Severe thirst
9. Increased heart-rate and breathing

fa:):):)

whats wrong with taking a drink underwater? i do it regularly and on some long deco stops i eat as well !! its possible so why not !!! i always take a still drink on the boat with me in summer and 9 out of 10 it ends up in my drybag pocket to be consumed during the dive !!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom