Thirsty while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone come up with a good solution to this common problem? Obviously one can hydrate before the dive. But on long dives with the dry air I still get a dry mouth and throat and would like to bring down some water. Any thoughts?

capri sun

Last edited:
Well... you are surrounded by water.... ever try sipping that? lol! Someone on scubaboard mentioned the use of a camelback/pack thing... and another brought life savers.

I have an idea there is a water water that has a lock on it where out side pressure will not allow water to flow out of the mouth piece. You turn the arrows to open and then when you squeeze it water will flow. It is an on demand one way valve. they are cheap maybe 8.00 and made by Camelbak. Give them a try. Steve

podium-bottle-21oz - CamelBak.com Steve

I'm pretty sure almost any camelback would work fine if properly employed? IE: Don't open/close the valve unless your lips on are the mouthpiece.

Not a fan of throwaway containers tetra packs (Capri Sun). It's all refined sugar too. Being thirsty on a single tank really indicates (early) dehydration. I imagine you could bring down a squeezable bottle which wasn't subject to much deformation - something on the order of a resusable squeeze tube for toothpaste too. Though probably not too good other than for a one shot deal underwater:

Coghlan's Squeeze Tubes - Package of 2 at REI.com

X

You can also dive with a metal second stage (eg Mares Abyss, Scubapro A700). It keeps moisture and really reduces a lot the "dry mouth/dry throat" effect.

Has anyone come up with a good solution to this common problem? Obviously one can hydrate before the dive. But on long dives with the dry air I still get a dry mouth and throat and would like to bring down some water. Any thoughts?

Camelbak was always the leader in hydration equipment...
2010-racebak-mens - CamelBak.com
this is new, and cool....Probably good for freedivers, but it likely will have the water contained on your back, so the tank and backplate area is likely to push on it too much...however, if you look at the other camelbaks, the waiste models for hikers could be used, either with the pak behind or turned so the pack is in front of you....it is very easy to drink from a camebak at depth..I have done it..Of course, this could open up a whole new PADI specialty course :)

DanV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom