This dive was a 10+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle:
mike ..you seem to know alot about a reg that you have never used before..how in gods name can you say that breathing a flooded reg doesnt add to the stress..get real..NOT everyone is GOOD as you put it..everyone handles situations differently underwater and unfortunatly some dont survive either..

Snuggle,

I think this is a waste of time. There is not a diver out there worth his/her salt that will not admit to breathing a flooded reg does not increase stress. The thinking here is that a skilled diver will breathe a flooded reg. In reality a skilled diver would solve the problem by clearing the exhaust valve or switching out the regulator.

James,

Inspiration has a 20 cuft bailout. If dives are deco or deeper most people carry a stage.

Does the RB80 have an integrated OC DSV? I am not too familiar with it.

DPV

snuggle:
mike ..you seem to know alot about a reg that you have never used before..how in gods name can you say that breathing a flooded reg doesnt add to the stress..get real..NOT everyone is GOOD as you put it..everyone handles situations differently underwater and unfortunatly some dont survive either..

Snuggy what are you talking about?

Tell us all about stress management why don't you. LOL

JamesP:
Snuggle,

I think this is a waste of time. There is not a diver out there worth his/her salt that will not admit to breathing a flooded reg does not increase stress. The thinking here is that a skilled diver will breathe a flooded reg. In reality a skilled diver would solve the problem by clearing the exhaust valve or switching out the regulator.

While you sit there in fron of the computer... Put dry gloves on, pop the cover off an Apeks reg, slide out the diaphragm. Now with the the tip of your finger which is about all you can get in there (and you probably can't do that with dry gloves on) see how well you can manipulate the exhaust diaphragm which is outside the housing under the exhaust T Now tell us how many times that you've done this on a dive while wearing heavy gloves.

I didn't say that a flooded reg doesn't add stress. I am most hapy when everything works perfect. Whether you try to fix it or whether you just live with it would depend on the situation but hitting the purge to take a breath or feathering the valve of a free flowing reg should be something your pretty comfortable with. Sometimes you just can't fix it.

mike let me tell you all about stress management..its letting someone like you who thinks he knows it all have their say..its not worth it getting into anything because the outcomes always the same .....some people just think that they are always right and everyone else is wrong..so il sit here and read the threads and hopefully learn something from them..

snuggle:
mike let me tell you all about stress management..its letting someone like you who thinks he knows it all have their say..its not worth it getting into anything because the outcomes always the same .....some people just think that they are always right and everyone else is wrong..so il sit here and read the threads and hopefully learn something from them..

ok just take your reg apart like James says. LOL
I explained some of the potential problems with it (namely that you can't always fix the problem any way) and said that under some situations I'll take it apart and in others I won't.

Feathering a valve to breath a free flowing decompression bottle reg and using the purge to breath a flooding reg is a required skill in many tech classes from Advanced Nitrox on up. Students are required to demonstrate the ability to do it. They are not required to demonstrate their ability to repair regulators underwater with dry gloves on though.

In fact in my own Advanced Trimix class (I love the advanced part, LOL) both of my team mates had real free flows on decompression bottles. They both feathered their valves until they got to the next gas switch. I can't say that they weren't stressed but if you didn't look closely you'd never even notice that they were doing it. Very slick and believe me we were all pretty relaxed even though two of the three of us had a little extra to do. Using the purge to breath through a flooding second stage would have been no more stressful.

We also practice things like buddy breathing deco bottles. Of course we have schedules for lost gas but if we have enough for every one why not just share and get every one out of the water on time? Is it stressful. Well, I'll let you guys have your way...it's real stressful and I would suggest that you never try it. Instead stop and take your reg apart and practice reg repair with dry gloves on. LOL

DPVDiver:
James,

Inspiration has a 20 cuft bailout. If dives are deco or deeper most people carry a stage.

Does the RB80 have an integrated OC DSV? I am not too familiar with it.

DPV

Dude,

I am not sure what you mean DSV. I am only familiar with the RB from the standpoint of a support diver and my exposure in this regard is limited. If you could elaborate for my I will gladly look into it. I also have some url’s regarding RB stored here somewhere. If I can find them I will pass them on to you. I don’t think they are very technical but it might help. Dan is the one to ask about the RB it is his baby.

EDIT ADD ON:
I figure that the bottle was 20cft. I was wondering if you had possible change them up to a larger volume. I realize that you are comfortable with what you do. I just don't think that 20cft is an adequate amount of reserve gas.

Some RB's have an OC bailout built into the Mouthpiece so with the flip of a switch you can switch to Open Circuit. That is what I was wondering. I was unaware that Dan does RB80 stuff. There aren't too many of those guys around. Maybe I will PM him because I don't know much about that unit.

Thanks James,

DPV

MikeFerrara:
While you sit there in fron of the computer... Put dry gloves on, pop the cover off an Apeks reg, slide out the diaphragm. Now with the the tip of your finger which is about all you can get in there (and you probably can't do that with dry gloves on) see how well you can manipulate the exhaust diaphragm which is outside the housing under the exhaust T Now tell us how many times that you've done this on a dive while wearing heavy gloves.

I didn't say that a flooded reg doesn't add stress. I am most hapy when everything works perfect. Whether you try to fix it or whether you just live with it would depend on the situation but hitting the purge to take a breath or feathering the valve of a free flowing reg should be something your pretty comfortable with. Sometimes you just can't fix it.

Dude,

As stated in an earlier post: been there and had to do it at the 70ft stop in dry gloves, in the river, only once.
In the presents of Dan, Doug and Kevin. If your gloves are too heavy then they are the wrong gloves. I find the Dive Concepts black dry gloves to be the best compromise between flexiblity and warmth. I would prefer to dive wet gloves for flexibility but the cold temps on the bottom in certain places during the summer can make for an uncomfortable dive after 30 mins or so.

When we cannot fix it we change it out. Yes we all know how to feather the tap on a freeflowing tank.

DPVDiver:
Some RB's have an OC bailout built into the Mouthpiece so with the flip of a switch you can switch to Open Circuit. That is what I was wondering. I was unaware that Dan does RB80 stuff. There aren't too many of those guys around. Maybe I will PM him because I don't know much about that unit.

Thanks James,

DPV

The unit has a lever on the mouth piece. I am not 100% sure but I believe that this does switch it to open circuit. The diver also has both his long hose and neckless regulators that are rigged the same as a set of doubles for farther redundancy. I have not been with Dan on a dive since June so my details are a little hazy. Dan is in Mexico right now. If you email him it might take a little while for him to get back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom