This morning in Egypt ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It simply reinforces my intention to always book a main deck cabin and carry a smoke and CO alarm.
Agreed. We got off a boat less than two weeks ago--a 27m, 16-pax catamaran. All passenger cabins are on the main deck level, a few seconds away from the dive deck and with an door which afforded easy and quick access to the bow. I thought this was excellent. We were on another boat last fall, a steel monohull with all passenger cabins on a lower deck. Ladder access to the bow is unobstructed, and the route from our cabin toward the stern takes two U-turns. While we felt secure on the monohull, the cat seemed optimal, the more so because the passage from the cabins and the companionway from the salon to the dive deck are between the pontoons, which house the mechanical spaces.

As to batteries--On the catamaran, the captain permitted (only) cell phones, tablets and laptops to be charged in cabins, and only when attended; we were advised that if cabin crew found anything plugged in they would unplug it. On the monohull, no charging anything in cabins was permitted, and we were advised that (to my recollection) anything found charging in a cabin would be dispatched to the brine. Charging NiMH (Eneloop) batteries was permitted in the camera space adjacent to the dive deck, but all Li-Ion charging was restricted to the salon.

I think these approaches are laudable risk mitigators. But vessel owners have a real challenge, especially on a boat loaded with photographers, solving the problem of charging Li-Ion batteries, which continue to proliferate. Requiring all charging to occur in one area results in a mare's nest of wires and chargers, and outlets are in short supply, so power strips are common. A dedicated space in a watched area, with ample 110/220 service, would be an improvement.

Requiring all charging to occur in one area results in a mare's nest of wires and chargers, and outlets are in short supply, so power strips are common. A dedicated space in a watched area, with ample 110/220 service, would be an improvement.
Depending on how the boat is wired, requiring everything to be charged in one place may create the very situation you're trying to avoid if the circuits overload and a short/spark occurs.

Point is, there are no easy answers to any of this.

Depending on how the boat is wired, requiring everything to be charged in one place may create the very situation you're trying to avoid if the circuits overload and a short/spark occurs.
Agreed—it’s a bit whack-a-mole—but surely better to have it wired in an orderly fashion so that each charger has a direct connection, no? I also assume that USB charging is better than cubes, but don’t know this to be accurate.

One of the issues I see with fitting fire suppression on a liveaboard is that simple systems like a big CO2 dump won't necessarily work in places like the galley, charging stations etc as they aren't enclosed, and stopping lithium battery fires is quite difficult.
You also can’t use CO2 suppression systems in occupied spaces, it produces an atmosphere that is unbreathable. Effective fire detection and suppression systems on boats and ships are not easy or cheap.

You also can’t use CO2 suppression systems in occupied spaces, it produces an atmosphere that is unbreathable. Effective fire detection and suppression systems on boats and ships are not easy or cheap.
The problem is that keeps being used as an excuse to do nothing at all.

A human patrolling the boat is an extremely effective fire detection system and a button nearby he can push for an instant global alarm is an extremely effective alerting system. Now, suppression, sure, that can't be trimmed down to the basics so easily - but only the first 2 really need to happen to reduce deaths.

(I almost don't mind if more poorly maintained boats sink so long as the passengers are able to get out in time - at some point they may run out of crappy boats and have to build good ones....)

And the reason I've been focussing so much on the alerting system is that this most recent incident was not at night. Staff and passengers were in a briefing (presumably either in the salon or on the dive deck). How did we get from first detection of smoke or heat to not enough time to bang on some doors? I'm really hoping more of this story comes out to better understand this logical gap.

And I would also comment on using ships bell for alarm: The last boat I was on I had the cabin closest to the bell and even full out I could barely hear it if the engines were running. That is not a viable solution for 25m+ boats. It's 2023, we have the technology to cheaply and easily have an alarm in every single room.

One of the dead was Christina Quinn CEO of St Lukes Hospice in Plymouth. Started her new job on the 10th Feb this year. And was 4 months into her new job .

At the time the (Quote) below stated:

"St Luke’s is renowned for, while always keeping clear sight of our mission to make sure no one dies alone, in pain or distress"

Makes you think. Teach us to number our days.

Thank you, Iain. I am glad to know something about Ms. Quinn. She obviously relished life and spent her days doing what she loved.

I would imagine that they have cut corners since the pandemic years. Alas, Egyptians always tend to think 'better' is 'cheaper.' Ayman Mussa started the Tornado Marine Fleet with the highest ideals. Who knows what he thinks now?
Does Ayman still own Tornado Fleet?

If people could simply dive and enjoy themselves without taking a boatload of bloody pictures. If life could be so simple.

Back
Top Bottom