.THM files - what are they good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that when shooting RAW format with a C5050 there are two files saved. One is the ORF file which is the picture - the other has the THM extention. Checking with Google I think it's some kind of thumbnail file - but I'm not completely sure. Does anyone know exactly what it is - and more to the point - is there any reason to keep it? ORF files open fine in Photoshop without it so I'm really not sure what it's for.

It's a jpeg image created in camera. You can view them in Windoze Explorer instead of having to look at the orf file in PS.

Evidently there is no burning need to keep them...I found out the hard way when I tried to rename some files and it got fubar'ed! Still can see the ORF in PS...and can still see the thumbs in Windoze...but they don't correspond anymore :11:

For me they don't show up as thumbs in Explorer. I can't open them with anything either - I just get an unknown file format message. I was thinking they might be used when you look at the pictures on the camera itself - but that's just guessing! oh well - it doesn't seem like I need them so that's OK!

Well I do have XP - so it must be a plugin - tell me more! :eyebrow:

OK - I found it. It's an XP registry hack and it can be found here:
http://www.techhouse.org/~mbf/THMPreview.reg
For anyone in the same position that I was in just run the hack and Windows will then preview the files with no problems. (XP only) There might also be one for other OS's but I didn't look for one.
Thanks Alcina for pointing me the right way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom