Thorfinn, Chuuk/ Truk: should I travel on this boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus, the dates the travel agents get are the dates that are considered open spots that Odyssey is selling directly. As such, they let agents take shot at selling them and picking up the commission.

A typical scenario is that two years out a shop charters the whole boat. As a "commission" they get 1 or 2 free spots. The shop can sell the spots for the cash or more often someone from the shop goes along. However, sometimes the shop decides that they can not fill the spots so they pay a penalty and release the spots back to the boat owners. At this point in time the spots get advertised by the travel agents.

BTW Cliff Horton handles the reservations for the Odyssey directly. So he knows who has the boat chartered and when there are open dates.

Hi SS

I wrote to Odyssey this morning, but have not heard back
I wrote on their website message thing
Do you by chance have an email address that would go direct to Cliff :wink:

I picked up five liveaboard spaces this way in the past few years :D

Have a good weekend

V

Venus, the dates the travel agents get are the dates that are considered open spots that Odyssey is selling directly. As such, they let agents take shot at selling them and picking up the commission.

A typical scenario is that two years out a shop charters the whole boat. As a "commission" they get 1 or 2 free spots. The shop can sell the spots for the cash or more often someone from the shop goes along. However, sometimes the shop decides that they can not fill the spots so they pay a penalty and release the spots back to the boat owners. At this point in time the spots get advertised by the travel agents.

BTW Cliff Horton handles the reservations for the Odyssey directly. So he knows who has the boat chartered and when there are open dates.

I traveled on the Truk Oddysey back in March on just two weeks notice. Got lucky, perhaps, but by contacting Cliff directly (through my LDS) was able to secure back-to-back weeks even though the website showed no space available.

Hi RJP

yes, i've been lucky like that in the past when i have been desperate to go at short notice - I always find something good

but, this one I want to know i can secure with the knowledge that it will happen
Odyssey is booked through 2010 and most of 2011

problem i am having now is will the US agent sell the space to my UK agent (will there be two commssions involved)

does anyone know Reef + Rainforest Travel in CA who can put in a good word for me and persude them to sell it on - we are four desperate people :wink:

my UK agent did not sound too hopeful when I spoke with her in the morning :depressed:

Yesterday my friend say "it took less planning for the moon landing 40 years ago"!

I think she may well be right

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

One more question ....

We have to fly Cathay Pacific from Manila back to London via Hong Kong

Their luggage allowance is 20kg :shocked2: :shocked2:

Does anyone have any thoughts on flying out of Manila on Cathay whether we will have to pay excess or will we get away either two bags of 15kg or one bag of 25kg and a large carry on bag

Who are you flying with to Manila? Do you have to over night in Manila? If possible I would check my bags through Guam - Manila - HK - London that way they are in the system. Once in the system I believe you would be okay.

Hey SS

It looks like this for me, my friend has another flight to get to london first:

oubound: london to hong kong on british airways
hong kong to manila on cathay
manila to guam on continental
guam to chuuk on continental

baggage allowance ok because we check through on BA to Manila

inbound: chuuk to guam on continental
guam to manila on continental overnight manila
manila to hong kong on cathay
hong kong to london on british airways

we have to pick up our bags at Manila because we stay overnight
so, we start with 20kg allowance Manila - HK - London
just wondered if they were strict on weight leaving Manila

Thanks

Vx

One more question ....

We have to fly Cathay Pacific from Manila back to London via Hong Kong

Their luggage allowance is 20kg :shocked2: :shocked2:

Does anyone have any thoughts on flying out of Manila on Cathay whether we will have to pay excess or will we get away either two bags of 15kg or one bag of 25kg and a large carry on bag
Well for reference . . .on Continental Airlines from Los Angeles to Quito Ecuador, I had one large check-in luggage at just over 30kg and paid $50 in an overweight baggage charge. On the other hand, my dive buddy flew in from Dallas with two check-in bags weighing 15kg each and only paid $25 for the one excess/additional piece of luggage. So research which may be less expensive regarding Cathay's luggage policy: One overweight large piece vs. weight distributed over two pieces of luggage (i.e. an additional piece of luggage over the complimentary allotment of one piece allowed in Economy Class). . .

if you show them your Continental tickets then you should be fine, Cathay gave me credit for US baggage allowances on an Asian flight because I had flown with a US airline the day before... don't know if it will work for you, but it did for me so is worth talking to the agent at the counter

Back
Top Bottom