Thorfinn, Chuuk/ Truk: should I travel on this boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mike/ Kev

when ever I've flown on and American aircraft I've always got 23kg + 23kg ... no problem

the bit we are worried about is inbound from Manila to Hong Kong
I called Cathay and they said 'your allowance is 20kg each, that's it 20kg, really 20kg, no more. It doesn'y matter that you are also flying Continental + British Airways'

The additional charge is only 2 pounds per kg, so if I'm 5 kg over I'm not fussed about giving them a tenner

My friend is expecting to be more than that, though

And, we are both build like speed snakes and I strongly object to being 54kg and having to pay xs baggage when the next person in line is 80kg and does not have to pay more because he/ she is within the 20kg :no:

My decision to take a heavy wing, two sets of regs and a pony, I suppose
and because I get cold easily I take all the exposure suits that I own and layer them up

And, we are both build like speed snakes and I strongly object to being 54kg and having to pay xs baggage when the next person in line is 80kg and does not have to pay more because he/ she is within the 20kg :no:

Recently went to Bonaire and the guy on the plane next to me was complaining about the luggage allowance. Meanwhile, he weighed at least 90kg MORE than I do. I'm thinking "Shut up, you're already "allowed" to bring twice as much crap as I am for free anyway!

Hell, I could have brought my wife and two kids and we STILL would have weighed less than him!

Never mind the fact that he took up a third of MY SEAT on the plane as well...

:shakehead:

Fortunately didn't have that trouble going to Truk on Continental. As an Elite member I was allowed three 32kg bags.

Hi Mike/ Kev

when ever I've flown on and American aircraft I've always got 23kg + 23kg ... no problem

the bit we are worried about is inbound from Manila to Hong Kong
I called Cathay and they said 'your allowance is 20kg each, that's it 20kg, really 20kg, no more. It doesn'y matter that you are also flying Continental + British Airways'

The additional charge is only 2 pounds per kg, so if I'm 5 kg over I'm not fussed about giving them a tenner

My friend is expecting to be more than that, though

My decision to take a heavy wing, two sets of regs and a pony, I suppose
and because I get cold easily I take all the exposure suits that I own and layer them up
Leave the pony at home --Truk Odyssey has kitted/slung 4.3 litre deco DIN AL tanks you can use instead. They also have double manifolded DIN AL 11 litre tanks and Nitrox 30 for complementary use (if you've got training & certification).

As for exposure suits, I was comfortable even with long decompression profile times after deep dives down to 57meters --in a thin 0.5mm full wetsuit and a 3mm hooded vest (I'm 70kg & 170cm tall). Water temperature in October, December and January averaged around 28deg C, with no extreme cold thermoclines that I can recall.

(Last deep technical trip coming back from Singapore/South China Sea through Manila, I had two check-in luggage of 30kg each, and a hand carry of 15kg. Philippine airlines tried to extort nearly $1k in excess weight charges, but after reviewing their posted baggage policy regarding sports equipment (Scuba), I was correctly charged and agreed to pay around $400. Lesson learned: bring a printed hard copy of your airline carrier's baggage policy and be ready to quote it chapter & verse. . .)

Oh, the amount of times I have to point out to people next to me that "I paid for this space, can you please move your legs, arms, shoulders etc"

but, they can't :shakehead:
and the only spare seats are right at the back in the middle set of four seats
I always get to check in early early to esure I get an aisle seat toward the front of the plane

so, I have a choice sit of the back or have half a seat :confused:

Hell, I could have brought my wife and two kids and we STILL would have weighed less than him!

Never mind the fact that he took up a third of MY SEAT on the plane as well...

:shakehead:

Fortunately didn't have that trouble going to Truk on Continental. As an Elite member I was allowed three 32kg bags.

Hi Kev

I'm really small!

my preferred set up is single ten + 1.5 pony
this year I moved on to a 19 cf side slung and I hate it so I am going back to my 1.5 litre

there is no way I can carry a 4.3 litre
and definately not double 11s
I can use double sevens though - I will ask them if they can source these for me

yes, I have a nitrox ticket

yes, I always carry a printed copy of the baggage allowance when I travel .... doesn't everyone do this??

In 28 dregrees I wear a 5/4/3 long + 2 mil hoody vest + 3 mil shorty

Leave the pony at home --Truk Odyssey has kitted/slung 4.3 litre deco DIN AL tanks you can use instead. They also have double manifolded DIN AL 11 litre tanks and Nitrox 30 for complementary use (if you've got training & certification).

As for exposure suits, I was comfortable even with long decompression profile times after deep dives down to 57meters --in a thin 0.5mm full wetsuit and a 3mm hooded vest (I'm 70kg & 170cm tall). Water temperature in October, December and January averaged around 28deg C, with no extreme cold thermoclines that I can recall.

(Last deep technical trip coming back from Singapore/South China Sea through Manila, I had two check-in luggage of 30kg each, and a hand carry of 15kg. Philippine airlines tried to extort nearly $1k in excess weight charges, but after reviewing their posted baggage policy regarding sports equipment (Scuba), I was correctly charged and agreed to pay around $400. Lesson learned: bring a printed hard copy of your airline carrier's baggage policy and be ready to quote it chapter & verse. . .)

Hi, if you can afford the price difference theres a ton of difference between the 2 operations. Been on both. The Odyssey is outstanding in every category. The Thorfinn? Take your chances but as already pointed out, its only a floating hotel. The Odyssey also has last minute openings. Contact Cliff here: Welcome Aboard the Truk Odyssey - Wreck diving in Truk Lagoon Micronesia.

I'm not affiliated iwth them in any way. Some Odyssey and other Truk videos are here: Truk Lagoon Videos and Diving

So, my trip on Odyssey is still six months away ......

what should I do between now and then??
start walking? it is far from the UK.. :p

Thanks Mike

I had forgotten how helpful you can be :mooner:

Yes, it is a long way
I hate flying ... :shakehead:
London - Hong Kong - Manila - Guam - Chuuk

Now that you mention it there is a Bus that goes from London to Sydney
it takes 3 months and is bus travel the whole way apart from one flight from Bali to Darwin

I guess I could set off mid November on Oz Bus and then take a shorter flight up to Chuuk a couple of days before I am due to board Odyssey :D
start walking? it is far from the UK.. :p

With three month to go before I fly out I really need to start planning

I will be staying for a few days at the Blue Lagoon prior to boarding the Odyssey and a few days after

Does anyone know if Blue Lagoon have 30cf cylinders that I can use

Thanks

Venus

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom