Those of you with two or more..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly though if one is trained to work on and maintain their own equipment, there is little that can be done at your LDS than at your own home...right? What could they do there that you would not be able to do at home? I would assume nothing... but I am not sure.. not to take anything away from LDS, because I still utilize them because I am not a born "futzer".. though I hope to be a born again "futzer" at some point in my life..

Thanks!

Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, friends...
Wife, sisters, daughters, granddaughter...
I wouldn't want anyone to miss a dive.
And so I almost never sell gear, but rather accumulate it.
28 tanks, and a like collection of BCs, wetsuits, regs, fins, masks, etc., etc...
:D
Rick
hehe same here. I have 3 rigs (2 coldwater capable) and 2 regulator sets.

My dive buddies use the extra rigs and reg. I am more than happy to lend them if they need it (partially because I want their [-]validation [/-] opinion on how [-]awesome[/-] my rigs are :D).

One for singles, one for doubles.

Short Answer

Regs
Poseidon Xtreme Deep 90 DIN (7' hose) - Primary on Tech/Doubles
Poseidon Jetstream/Odin DIN - Second reg. on Tech/Doubles
(2) Mares Rebel 12 Nitrox DIN (O2) - Stage/Deco bottle(s)
Aqualung Legend ACL Yoke - Recreational and Carribean or they don't have DIN tanks Reg.

BC -
DiveRite Transplate
DiveRite Rec Wing - Doubles
OMS bungied 60# Wing - Doubles
Oxychek Mach V Extreme - Singles

Have a Zeagle SS backplate sitting in a box...will probably put a harness on it sometime.

You raise a good point... doing annual maintenace on them has to be ridiculous.. unless you do your own, but still parts must add up after a while. Now do you still do the annual on items that you do not use every year.. is that good owning practices.. do you do each item each year or do you keep some items only on a need by need basis???

I send my regs to a friend who charges me his "instructor rate" for service. Same with my cylinders (15 singles, three deco bottles, two sets of doubles, and three argon bottles) ... I just don't have time to mess with all that gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

911Diver - honestly, I have not found anything on my gear that I am not able to maintain. I did work at a shop for a while and learned a lot from them. There are some training classes available as well, and for the 'futzer' its good stuff, you just have to be able to notice when something doesn't look normal. :wink:

Those of you with two or more sets of BC's/Regs/.. equipment in general. I have a question.

What is your reason/motive for keeping extra?
Variety and Back-up.
My Sherwood Blizzard is my original. I got a very similar Oasis as a back-up that we bring along and I consider loaning it to a buddy having problems. Meanwhile I built up a Phoenix Royal Aqua Master double hose that adds an extra dimension to my diving.

Key to making this work has been to learn to service this gear. With distributed use not all of it gets heavy use but in some cases time is the bigger culprit so inspections are important.

I assume it is a good idea to always have a back up, but I do not bring both with me on dive trips so that kind of doesnt work...

If you are not an active local diver then I agree that your luggage limits what you should hang on to.

911Diver - honestly, I have not found anything on my gear that I am not able to maintain. I did work at a shop for a while and learned a lot from them. There are some training classes available as well, and for the 'futzer' its good stuff, you just have to be able to notice when something doesn't look normal. :wink:

I do plan on talking some maintenance classes, that is a no brainer to me. I think everyone should just to make sure you are familiar with what you are diving with, it is what saves your life. Just like you wouldnt let someone else pack you chute.. you should be comfortable enough to maintain your equipment if it calls for it. My thoughts at least...

THanks though!

I guess my wife can't complain about the little amount of stuff I have now. :D:D

I have 8 regs, 2 BPs and 1 BC.

Most of the regs are set up for tech diving- left post/right post, deco/stage regs, argon reg. One of the regs is set up for straight up OW dives- I use it on maybe one recreational trip a year or in the pool.

Likewise for the BPs and BC. I mostly use the aluminum BP with doubles, but I have a steel BP for single tanks. Oddly enough, I don't have a single tank wing??? I use the BC for the pool or when I go on warm water vacations.

None of this stuff is "extra" in the sense that it's a spare or backup. It all has a specific use and purpose.

I kept my "old stuff" since it's now my singles rig. I now have a doubles rig and a singles rig. Separate BP/W's and reg set ups. I keep different exposure suits for different dive spots...caribbean to the cold waters of home in Connecticut. Plus, keeping old stuff gives me spares in case I ever need it.

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom