Thoughts on upgrading from my C5050...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, kiddies, although my C5050 is still in perfect working order, I find myself being pulled towards an upgraded camera. (I am just drawn that way..:gr1:) I find the improved features of some of the newer cameras increasingly seductive, but am distressed to find that Olympus has apparently left the underwater prosumer market behind. Their newer cameras (the 530 and 550) have abandoned the hot shoe, and that makes a good case for them difficult. I have no wish to move up to the cost:11: and complexity and bulk/weight of a DSLR, and so I am forced to cast my net into a different sea. I am currently drooling over a Canon G9, but am open for suggestions. I believe I would use an Ikelite case, as I trust their nearly bulletproof construction, and that is what I have on my current 5050. There is the matter of an ikelite case needing a different lens port with this camera in order to mount a wide angle lens, with the resulting restriction of the zoom feature, but I have never much liked wide angle, so this would not be much of a problem. Any thoughts on this? Woody

The alternate choice, Canon housing, doesn't allow using the hotshoe:confused: and doesn't have a short port option. You don't need the extra zoom in the water. Get the Ikelite, get the short port, have the WA option available. I think the G-9 is as close to your 5050 as you'll get with the new batch of cameras, (Darn you Olympus, where's the SP-360) but I don't think you'll surpass the 5050 for picture quality, just speed and features.

Speed and increased megapixels were my main concerns, but the other extra features are nice too. Just what exactly do you think the speed advantage is with the G9?

also take a look at nikon p5100.I use ,obviously , a 5050 and just purchased a p5100 .Waiting for housing to get in.use a ike housing that lets you use the hotshoe w/ a sync cord for true ttl via a ike strobe.Has many of same feautres as 5050 and 12megapixels.Its the wifes camera and (ahem) my digital backup..

I keep my antennae up ...but I haven't seen anything yet that is SO convincing I would dump my C5050Z (have 2 of them). About the only thing on the market that I might entertain (at some point in the distant future) is a DSLR.

In addition to the features and picture quality of the C5050 I think you need to consider the entire process of overhauling/upgrading your u/w photo system. Personally, I have quite a bit invested in terms of camera, housing, strobe, wet lens and miscellaneous accessories. To abandon all that - PLUS - the learning curve involved in moving to a totally difference system is something I don't take lightly.

I'm another 5050 user and always seem to get great results with this camera. I had the sensor replaced recently under their sensor recall but, other than that, the camera has been rock solid. I use the Pt-015 housing with an Ikelite DS-125 strobe.

I also have a Canon Rebel XT digital SLR, and may be offered a super deal on a Canon 40D soon, so I have been considering housing the DSLR. I haven't done that yet, mainly because of the cost of the housings. I can re-use the DS-125 and sell the 5050 and the housing, but it's still going to cost me a ton of money.

If I was inclined to dump my 5050, it would certainly be to house a DSLR. I wouldn't trade for another "point and shoot" style camera, since there's not much out there that can produce significantly better underwater shots than the 5050. DSLR's are a step up. If I wind up with a new Canon 40D, I may just keep the XT, house it, and sell off the Oly stuff.

Tough choices...and no easy answers.

Another echo of most comments above. I have not seen results from any other p&s that tugs at my purse strings. Only dslr's have better features and better images, imho. Wish there was a decent replacement, so more 5050's would flood ebay and drop the prices. :D

Speed and increased mega pixels were my main concerns, but the other extra features are nice too. Just what exactly do you think the speed advantage is with the G9?
Speed might be a slight advantage qua better focus speed and write to card. Mega pixels are overrated IMO. Unless you want to print posters that would cover the side of a small apartment block I'm really not sure where the gain is. For normal sized printing I'd bet it's pretty hard to see the difference between 5 million and 10 million pixels across the same size sensor. The C5050 is really hard to beat for it's class...i.e. P&S with full manual control and RAW. It was actually too good to be true at the time, which is why Olympus changed to the C5060 so fast - the lens they used on the C5050 simply cost too much.

I'm sure the G9 is really nice, and if I was a first time buyer I'd probably be looking at it. As a C5050 owner I'm really not bothered yet. Actually - I already have a 400D DSLR but I'm not housing it for U/W yet. I don't think I dive enough to justify it and for me I use my DSLR to become a better photographer topside right now. What it's teaching me there, I can easily take with me on dives with my C5050...... and full manual control REALLY looks good now I'm beginning to get a grip on what's actually going on.

When I get to the point that the C5050 is holding me back and won't let me do what I want....I'll house my DSLR (although by then that might be the equivalent of the 40D....or even a full frame 5D)
Meanwhile I've made a vow to myself not to move past my gear until I really know how to use it. For me I'd hate to be taking snaps with $5000 worth of gear that someone else can get with a disposable P&S. I suppose your mileage might vary, as well as your budget - but the Olympus C5050 is a really good camera......especially for U/W use because of it's very bright, fast lens.

I am a former 5050 owner who upgraded to DSLR (Oly E-330). I, too, would be hard pressed to name a newer p&s digital that is so significantly better than the 5050 that I would want to house it. The 5050 still is, IMHO, the best glass for the price. Yes, it suffers from shutter and write lag, but the newer p&s cameras do, too. If you don't want to go to the expense of dslr, then I would recommend waiting a couple of years to see what major innovations the camera manufacturers come up with. The alternative is to look at the next-to-last generation of dslrs/housings, and buy used. There are bargains to be had as the technophiles chase the latest and greatest. BTW, a new-in-the-box E-330 body can be bought for ~$300.

BTW, a new-in-the-box E-330 body can be bought for ~$300.
:rofl3: Yeah.....my Canon 400D body cost me about $400 here in Japan with the cash-back deal. But then there's the glass. :D
I've already spent twice as much as the body on just two lenses - and I still need either a macro ef-s 60 or ef 100 in the near future...... oh......and a real wide angle? Filters? Take it all U/W and start counting housing and ports.....eTTL strobes?

Oh man......I could spend so much...... :11:

If you've got it cool.......it's toys. If you can use this gear properly i reckon you should be earning good money in stock captures - then of course it's a no-brainer! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom