Thread Closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was probably closed because it got way off topic and people started bickering. I doubt it was closed because of age. I don't think a thread should be closed simply because it's old.

Although two years between posts in a thread is a bit much! :D

Although two years between posts in a thread is a bit much! :D

Yes but what if someone new joins and finds a topic they have a question about. Then they actually use the :shocked2: (dare I say it...) SEARCH button. If they want to comment on something or ask a question, GOOD. Do it in the thread that has already been established instead of starting the 947th thread on what BC is good for: a small woman/large man/tall person/short person/busty woman/etc, or what is your opinion on LeisurePro, or how much money does a DM make, or which certification agency is the best :shakehead:

Then there are some interesting threads that new SBers may want to participate in even though they weren't here when the thread started. Some examples: What does your usename mean, If you could only dive in one spot for the rest of your life-where would it be, and show us a picture of you in the deep blue sea. These are fun threads that could be resurrected at any point to get input from all the SBers that weren't around when they started...even if it is two, three, four years later.

Threads do arise from the dead from time to time, particularly if it shows up on a search and someone feels they have something new to add. That is why you get the big red warning that "the last reply to this thread was more than X months ago". It at least ensures the person posting is aware it is a really old thread.

Otherwise, I agree threads (other than classified/marketplace threads) should not be closed due to age. They do get closed when required if the threads gets argumentative or otherwise out of hand and impossible to moderate. Do a search on Whaling and you will probably find a number of them that were closed as those are topics where the small handful of individuals in favor of whaling stir the pot enough to crank off the anti-whaling members and get the thread shut down.

I have to agree. If we close the thread just because of age, then we can all stop saying..."If you do a search you will find lots of....". If a reader cannot post a question without starting a new thread then they might as well skip the search feature. Besides, there are a ton of old threads that I find interesting that I never saw until someone resurrected it. "All the searches in the world will not get you every post on :sblogo:".

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads never get closed due to age.

This was the closure notice so I assumed the issue was "OLD":

Moderator's Comments:
This "OLD" thread has now been closed. If someone feels the need to reopen old story's please start a new thread.

There was a little disagreement brewing between a shop employee who provided an, IMHO, weak defense of the shop owner's actions, and some other participants who were questioning the shop's current policies. But I did not think the exchange was in any way getting out of hand and it clearly had not reached any conclusion.

So why was this thread closed?

I have to agree. If we close the thread just because of age, then we can all stop saying..."If you do a search you will find lots of....".
Because there just plain aren't enough posts on threads like "I'd love to see a tank explode" or "I got kicked out of Nitrox class" or (revived again tonight) "Death in Palau". :popcorn:

The best part is when our intrepid new searchers start arguing with people who have been AWOL for years. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom