Thread moving by Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Recently I have had several posts moved from one sub-forum to another. While in the past, this has been done for my benefit. I had placed it in a forum that did not fit my post, and therefore wouldn't receive the readership I was aiming for. In those cases, I was PM'ed by the moderator who moved the thread, and I appreciated the help.

The most recent ones, have not been handled that way, or apparently for those reasons.

I have been posting in a regionally specific sub-forum, with the intended audience of my fellow divers, who I know read that sub-forum. Yes the posts were of a humorous nature, but that of an "inside joke". Others reading it may have misunderstood, some of the jokes made, but should have realized the overall tone was that of jest.

The speculation on why the posts had been moved ranged from, readers mistaking fiction for fact, to feelings that the posts were written in bad taste.

I feel that moving my posts for these reasons are equivalent to moving a semi-private conversation from one room, to another, because someone walking past that room overheard the conversation through the door, and felt the need to complain.

Reviewing the TOS, I do not believe that I was in any violation. And I could also find no rules on thread moving. While I can see the need to keep the subject of the threads consistent with the themes of sub-forums they are in, I believe that some posts could be viewed in many ways, and in such cases should be left to the discretion of the author. If a thread, not in violation of the TOS, deems review by the Mods, I feel the author should at least be included in the decision to move it.

I am curious as to how other ScubaBoard members feel on this subject, because I know I am not alone in this type of situation. And while I appreciate the work that Mods do for the board, I think something can be done to improve on this process.

Q: Is this going to be a serious debate?

If so, it should be moved to Site Support.

If you're just letting off steam, I won't bother.

I don't think I've had any threads moved that I can remember. Maybe something in the DIR forum....

However, this is an interesting issue. I am a member of several discussion boards and a few email lists. None as heavily moderated as this, and several dealing with far larger egos, and more demanding users than SB.

The Panhanlde region of Florida is a challenge because it encompasses the panhandle, south georgia, south Alabama, and in some cases, Mississippi divers. The threads that get moved can be somewhat difficult. Because of Florida's size and diverse nature, we really don't fit all that well with the Conchers because S.FL. divers outnumber us 100:1.

Personally, I didn't mind the humor in the most recent thread moved. I dive with these guys, and that type of banter is common and expected. In fact, it adds some levity to my day, and allows me a kinship and a depth of friendship with these folks. Placing messages that had a specific and targeted audience in an area where they would be read makes sense. Placing regionally specific, and audience specific threads into a national or international area based solely on subject matter seems counterproductive.

This is not my board, and I don't make the rules. But I would not be opposed to seeing a regional forum called "Delta" or "Cave Country" to encompass the rather geographically diverse area where I, and these other divers live. Perhaps if we could have our own area, there would be far less call to moderate posts intended for divers unique to that geographic area.

Well, I would have stayed away from this thread, because I don't have a dog in this fight, but I was invited to comment by photohikedive.

I read a couple of the posts in question, found them to be in extremely bad taste and did my best to ignore them after that. If I were still a moderator (a job I left a few years ago), I would have moved them to the humor forum. They have no place, IMO, in any other forum and possibly don't have any business on this board at all.

My best advice to photohikedive is to ask for feedback before you invite someone to comment. They may not say what you expect.

Perhaps he just wanted your honest opinion Walter.

I read a couple of them and just thought "what are they putting in the drinking water down in florida?" They were definitely regional in-jokes and moving them to the global humor section didn't seem appropriate. I don't offend very easily though...

I found humor in his threads.... It kinda lightned up the place I thought.

So when he opens this thread to complain about his other threads being moved.... well whaddya know... They move this thread also

I understand the need to have some threads in "site support" but since this was about threads being moved in the Florida forum, the people there should have an opportunity to have a say about it (wether in support of or not).

I gotta weigh in and say that the thread moving has definately gottin ridiculous around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom