Thread moving by Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
I read a couple of the posts in question, found them to be in extremely bad taste and did my best to ignore them after that.

This is key. The titles of these threads are all noted as being satiricle now, so they can be passed over easily. Nobody forces anyone to read them. If you don't like what you're reading, stop, and move on.

kchFLA:
I'm not sure that this is really an area issue - i.e. Panhandle being separate from the rest of the state of Florida and or combined with the Dixie Divers.

I do think that because the Panhandle area has fewer members, those that dive together dive together more frequently. Thus the posts have as much to do with the people as they do with diving.

I'd rather the panhandle not be split off any further. We don't warrant enough traffic and I like to keep tabs on the rest of FL incase I need to make a longer road trip :)

I agree with the posts being about the people, just as much as the diving. There are definately other threads in the FL Conch forum that are people oriented as well.

MantaRey:
The problem here is that: there will never be an agreement. No matter what you say here, someone will be offended. Sadly the most logical step would be to put a disclaimer in front of the posts.

Do we really have to go to that point?

I mean it's bad enough we need to be told our coffees are hot, the way cars are driven in commercials are by professionals, we shouldn't smoke, etc....

Let's not add to that baby sitting bs. We're all adults here. Read it, if you're offended, move on. Just like on tv, if you don't like the show: CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

In a sense, the threads have a disclaimer in the title(Satiricle). I agree with you completely.

thedaddy:
To the scubaboard staff, I think the high incidence of moved threads is probably due to the efforts to organize the board for better service, but it does warrant attention and consideration. It can be regarded as helpful (Colorado diver's thread asking a question about Florida moved to the Conch forum) or as rude (a thread moved or removed because it irritates or offends someone). I think some guidance to moderators is in order, and some thought as to formalizing moderater guidelines. If I was volunteering and acting in good faith, I would be pretty miffed at taking a bunch of flak (I'm sure they would appreciate a policy to fall back on). Also, if you get a wildcat moderator - it makes removal easier. I wouldn't want to work on a homeowners association, and I don't envy the moderators or the SB staff.

Sometimes a PM to the thread's author could go a long way to helping aleviate complaints as well. In my experience, some moderators do, and some don't bother at all.

OneBrightGator:
I had to quote Walter's post, because I like it and completely agree.

I read some of the posts and also found them to be in poor taste and inappropriate.

As it has been said before, the only rights you have on an internet forum is what the owner(s) give to you, there is no such thing as free speech. If you don't like what they're doing, don't participate.

You're definately correct about free speech not existing in a privately owned internet forum. Its the same way here as any other internet forum as well.

Aside from that, your other comment can work both ways. If you don't like what you're reading, don't read it. With the titles tagged the way they were, its especially easy to skip them all together as not to busy your head with our non-sense :)

radinator:
They struck me not as 'regional in-jokes', but 'jokes between me and my several buddies', and frankly I didn't see the point of them being on a more public board at all - take it to email. If the only thing that made them 'funny' was posting in a public forum, then the best description that comes to mind is graffiti.

I've also found that with the several pointless 'cry wolf' headlines the past several days, I've already skipped over one real accident report thread because I thought it was more of the same.

The threads have replies from several non-regional posters who enjoyed the humor. What you interpret, isn't necessarily the same as what everyone else is seeing...

I believe skipping over the fictional threads in question will be easy as they are all labeled as such.

Kim:
I'll probably get my head chewed off but I'm going to comment anyway!

First off - I didn't move anything so I only have an outside perspective here.

When I read the first post of what turned out to be a series I was slightly amused and I just thought: 'OK, these guys are ribbing each other....no big deal'. As more and more threads started to appear though the joke seemed to get a little stale. and start to take over the whole place. Someone mentioned a private conversation and being overheard earlier. Yes, it is a little like that - but the conversation becomes less private the louder and more widespread it gets. There are people who also use the forums who aren't necessarily part of the joke. It's their forum too (as well as being visible by everyone else), and some of them obviously think that it went too far and complained. Haven't they also got a right to do that?

The divers mentioned in the threads are fairly prolific posters on the boards. They are 'known' to many, without ever having to meet. This is evident by the replies to the thread by those we don't know.

The 'right' to complain is there. Some people need to lighten up though, the threads were in obvious jest. Its easy enough to skip the thread over completely. Like you said, the forum is for everyone to use.

ckharlan66:
All we are saying is if you expect any level of privacy or exclucivity those are the venues to use the forums are open to all.

Chad

I agree.

I just don't see the threads in question as being intended for private viewing. There is no reason that anyone from SB can't joke around with another SB persona.

OneBrightGator:
First off, I wasn't "offended", after reading the first thread that inspired all this I wrote the rest of your posts off, I wrote my post from the viewpoint of someone who takes this online stuff way too seriously...

It'd be a real shame to make an internet forum that uptight to please a couple of people who can't skip over an obvious joke eh?

Did you ever get out here to dive Morrison? I remember a few years ago you thought about meeting up with us to dive it while you were in Tallahassee.

radinator:
Here is how it is board spam.

1. I can't turn off 'your' forum. When I select 'new posts', I see them all. Including the fake 'news' reports. These forums aren't separate rooms, they are all linked together.

2. Since I do travel to Florida I want to see things about diving in Florida. Scubaboard is my main source of local diving info when I'm traveling to another location. Then, I'm looking for real info.

These aren't the only threads containing just basic, petty banter. You're gonna be weeding through quite a bit of posts. All the forums are guilty of it.

I've been having a hard time accessing SB from home, problem with my ISP and don't have time at work for a long thread like this :p I'm late - ah well. My opinion is out there now.

SuPrBuGmAn:
It'd be a real shame to make an internet forum that uptight to please a couple of people who can't skip over an obvious joke eh?

Did you ever get out here to dive Morrison? I remember a few years ago you thought about meeting up with us to dive it while you were in Tallahassee.
Hmmm... it's a joke which is now in the Humor forum... what would be a shame is creating an 9+ page thread about that fact.

Nope, never made it to Morrison, you panhandlers get out way too early for me. Maybe one of these days.

If you change your page view from 10 posts-per-page to 40-posts-per page then it's only 3 pages.

My point is, it's all about perspective and how you look at it. :D positive or negative.

We should all be able to enjoy Scubaboard :) I'm glad you enjoy it also.

On a positive note, let us know if you make it up to Morrison, etc, Gator, we'd love to have you come enjoy the dive with us. We've got to get up early to beat the "silt outs" that happen when students stir it up some. :D

Have a good weekend.

-Mike

MantaRey:
Let's not add to that baby sitting bs. We're all adults here. Read it, if you're offended, move on. Just like on tv, if you don't like the show: CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

Actually, we are not all adults. You do not need to be over 21 or 18 to participate on SB.
Never read any of the threads mentioned. I only came across this thread because it popped up in a search I was doing about something else. But keep in mind, this is not an adult only forum. More like PG13.

Kat:
Actually, we are not all adults. You do not need to be over 21 or 18 to participate on SB.

nope, that's correct

you just need to be over 13

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom