Suggestion Thread Revival Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Love Scubaboard but one thing that makes me boil is going into threads with new posts, reading all the way through them only to find out that the thread was started 4 years ago and someone revived it by essentially bumping it with summary advice for someone who no longer browses the forum. While I have no doubt the archive of posts that we have on this forum are invaluable, can we add an auto-lock system for inactive threads dated a year or longer? Adding to some threads is an important process which I understand but there's a good few I read through and can't help but think "why was this revived".

Is it necessary for SB to be the next "Nanny State"? Just read the original post date, its there in the title.....

Threads can be revived, as said, to update it with pertinent information, or perhaps to ask questions to clafify things - that is what these boards are for. But when someone bumps a thread giving encouragement or advice to person who had some personal challenge 3+ years back, you really gotta wonder.....

While there can be a benefit to adding new wisdom to very old threads, I would much prefer that people with such thoughts start a new thread. Over time ScubaBoard has talked about just about every diving topic possible, so repeating topics is inevitable. We don't want this to be nothing but a library of previously discussed topics, which is why I don't complain about people starting a new thread on a tired topic. If you add your thoughts to the end of an ancient thread, it will likely be missed by people who might have something valuable to say but who won't even look at it because they see that it is just another post in a thread that has long since run its course. There are many threads that are limping along that I never look at even though I once actively participated.

Of course if people paid attention you can easily see the original post date, and the last post date.

Thread moved to Whine and Cheese.

whinecheese.jpg

:ijs:

All I know is it irks the **** out of me when some n00b tries to tell me what I can and can't, should and shouldn't do.

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 04:55 PM ----------

Never mind, they are Canadian, it all makes sense now.

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

I plan on watching this thread and reviving it every couple of years :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom