Thresher Shark on Amazon: Selling IUCN 'Red List' Endangered Animal Meat!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm quite appalled by this:

Amazon.com / Seafoodexpress / Fresh Thresher Shark Fillets

T
hresher Shark (both Common and Pelagic variants) are both featured on the IUCN 'Red List' of Endangered Species. I didn't think it would be legal to sell these on Amazon. It certainly isn't ethical.

Alopias vulpinus (Common Thresher Shark)
Alopias pelagicus (Pelagic Thresher, Thresher Shark, Whiptail Shark)

Love the 'sponsored links' on the advert.... all for diving operations that work exclusively towards Thresher Shark conservation! :rofl3:

If you feel as strongly about this as I do; please spread the word.... and leave some comments/discussion on the advert itself (I can't :depressed:)

Thanks, I have posted my comment there. Amazon formerly sold shark fin soup if I'm not mistaken and comments from concerned individuals forced the removal of that product. Besides, Amazon's shipping record recently has been abysmal in my experience and I'm likely to end my relationship with them if products like this continue to be offered (and products I purchase continue to take WEEKS to be delivered).

Whats going on? only just caught this one, as with "Shark's Fin Cake", as DD has already posted, all who agree that this is reprehensible please log onto your Amazon account and post. Ive posted a comment on the product and have also sent an email direct to Amazon but who knows if it will passed onto someone who can do anything.:shakehead: I am trying to locate the Name of someone higher up and a postal address if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

Send Amazon a message. There is a link on the webpage. I did!

Feedback

orange-arrow._V192570247_.gif
If you need help or have a question for Customer Service, contact us.
Would you like to give feedback on images or tell us about a lower price?
Is there any other feedback you would like to provide? Click here

Hounding Amazon is one thing. Going after the culprit is another.

welcome to seafoodXpress Although I can not get their contact info to come up on the website.

[h=1]Seafoodexpress Com [/h]
[h=2]127 Riverview Dr
Washington, NC 27889
252-945-1679 Wifes number Carol Grass[/h]

Though their DBA as
[h=1]Wrights Creek Marina & Seafood Inc[/h] 127 Riverview Drive
Washington, NC 27889-9763
(252) 975-1244 HOME NUMBER!!

Although the yellow pages has them down with this address, and the phone number is posted all over the internet.
Wrights Creek Marina & Seafood Inc
1922 Wilkins Rd
Belhaven, North Carolina 27810

(252) 964-3400 Disconnected

I was going to have fun and say I was from a shark conservation group and ask if they would kindly remove the Thresher shark fillets from their menu. If not I was going to give them a large list of organizations that would be contacting them with the likes of Greenpeace, Sea Shepard, Environmental Defense, etc.

Wrights Creek Marina & Seafood in Belhaven, NC is a private company categorized under Seafoods. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $260,000 and employs a staff of approximately 3. Companies like Wrights Creek Marina & Seafoo usually offer: Alaska Seafood, Alaskan Seafood, Vegetable Sushi, Sushi Selection.

Posted (it is all the space they've allowed):

I am a long term Amazon customer, Prime customer, and frequent buyer.
I'm also a member of a very large scuba diving community, consisting of hundreds of thousands of members all accessing a very few, very large, very vocal, Forum Boards.

We are becoming increasingly distressed with the advertisement of "Shark" products on your site. These include Thresher Shark fillets, which are on the Red List of endangered species, as well as Shark Cartilage tablets, as well as Shark Cake from "Hop Kee."
The decimation of approximately 100,000,000 sharks/year through the revolting practice of shark finning, is a priority focus among our membership. We are watching many species, alpha predators, immeasurably important to our oceans and reef eco-systems, beginning to thin and disappear entirely. Endorsing shark products such as these does nothing but perpetuate and accelerate these practices.

Your commercializing of these products is already becoming a topic of discussion on our forums.
Please review your policies, and engage whatever modifications necessary to minimize and eradicate the commercialization of shark products.

I left my review! I just found out these guys are in my backyard. Actually on my way to the Outerbanks. I believe I will voice my opinion to them personally!

Bill

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom