Thresher Shark on Amazon: Selling IUCN 'Red List' Endangered Animal Meat!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:crying: Oh no, you mean people actually eat things out of the ocean! :shocked2: Those poor things :cuddles: Fish obtained legally and sold legally, I have no problem with that. For all you toufoo (of course I don't know how to spell it, I dont eat it either) eaters out there who think there are not abundant numbers of sharks, I would suggest taking up spearfishing :eyebrow: :D I haven't yet had the opportunity to try thresher, hoping to get a mako sometime....

Just because something is legal, that doesn't make it right - or ethical. There are lots of us who are doing our small part to try to raise awareness and sound the alarm to precipitous declines in the top predators in the marine ecosystem. When this happens, there is a phenomenon called a "trophic cascade" that often has far-reaching and unpredictable consequences. The sudden expansion of the range of the humboldt squid into waters up the west coast of California - where previously they were confined to more southern waters off Mexico may be partly due to the decline in large predatory sharks. A similar decline in sharks in and near Chesapeake a few years ago is thought to have contributed to a population explosion of rays, who in turn decimated the scallop harvest for several years.

If this poster likes having a healthy fishery from which to spear fish, he's going to need an intact ecosystem. But hell, he can't spell tofu, so how can he be expected to grasp the concept?

Both the Georgia Aquarium and the Monterrey Bay Aquarium have guidlines for sustainable seafood - and avoiding those choices that are from endangered, overfished, or simply unsustainable species:

Seafood Watch Program | A Consumer's Guide to Sustainable Seafood | Monterey Bay Aquarium

Georgia Aquarium | Support Us | Seafood Savvy

Interesting. When I followed you link I found it but when I went to Amazon directly - no such product to be found. I suspect that the hate mail they were collecting drove them to remove it. Good work Andy and others who commented.

Interesting. When I followed you link I found it but when I went to Amazon directly - no such product to be found. I suspect that the hate mail they were collecting drove them to remove it. Good work Andy and others who commented.

Yep the Shark's Fin cake has been removed but not the Thresher shark meat..I think they just need some more pressure. Ill write some more letters, the fact that they removed the Shark's fin cake is a good sign...

:crying: Oh no, you mean people actually eat things out of the ocean! :shocked2: Those poor things :cuddles: Fish obtained legally and sold legally, I have no problem with that. For all you toufoo (of course I don't know how to spell it, I dont eat it either) eaters out there who think there are not abundant numbers of sharks, I would suggest taking up spearfishing :eyebrow: :D I haven't yet had the opportunity to try thresher, hoping to get a mako sometime....

You obviously do not posses enough knowledge about the current status of many of the world's pelagic shark species. I have been a practicing marine biologist for 42 years and a SCUBA diver for almost 50. During thaty relatively brief time, I have seen the numbers of many formerly common species in our waters totally collapse. Some of that collapse was due to commercial fishing in our region (California), but scientists now think that with transient/migratory species including blues and great whites, actions taken by those in other, remote regions of the Pacific are also to blame. I suggest you become a bit more educated about the global status of sharks... and many commercially targeted fish stocks in general. Your post displays significant ignorance of the impacts of removing apex predators from ecosystems ranging from my temperate kelp forests to tropical coral reefs.

By the way, I have nothing against spear fishing. I did it in the past and my son does it now.

In an effort to spread the word I was talking with a friend who lives in the Netherlands about how the message, in this instance Amazon and Thresher shark meat sales, could be made more "viral", he suggested posting on "reddit.com" as this has a very wide following. I've made an account with them and will try to find the best place to post on this issue. Ill advise progress on this thread. If they did indeed buckle under the pressure of public opinion on Shark's fin cake, I see no reason that if enough pressure is applied they will do the same with Thresher meat. I hope so anyway.

Last edited:
I see they are also selling "Great Gourmet Fresh Mako Shark" also on the IUCN Red List.:(

This from Amazons website:

"Amazon and the Environment
At Amazon, we're constantly looking for ways to further reduce our environmental impact."

I've just written and provided them with another opportunity to do so.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments about these items. We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements.

Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

We hope to see you again soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

Im so pleased they are taking it seriously, taking the time to send a computer generated response.:shakehead:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom