Throw in the towel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javamama

Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about some of my issues as I began trying to get certified. Diving is no small deal for me, but I really would like to overcome these issues and be able to take dive trips with my husband. (not just for him, but for myself as well)

Well, I realize that I have at least a couple of 'no-no's' going in. One, at about the same time that our instruction was to start we found a great opportunity to book a trip to the Keys so that we could dive as soon as we were certified. Sounds like a great idea, but for someone like me it has been this incredible pressure of "I only have X amount of time to do this". On top of that, things haven't come together that easily. We're receiving private instruction from a friend and working around all of our work schedules which is great. But one thing or another has made my getting to any class time difficult,i.e. I had a lingering sinus infection, had to work, bad weather, etc.

The other thing is that I have to really get myself 'psyched' with pep talks to myself that it's really no big deal, I can DO this, etc. I was doing great in the beginning, receiving lots of my encouragement from these boards and other places on the net as I researched scuba and read other's experiences. I felt that I was doing great- mask removal, taking out my regulator underwater, etc. didn't bother me.

So, here's my problem. There was almost 2 weeks where we couldn't work it out for me to get to the quarry, so our friend said we'd go back to the pool one night just to at least finish a couple of the exercises that I needed so that all I would have to do is the actual open water diving once we get to the quarry. Great. Except that the 'psych' wasn't there. All I had to do was go into the deep end of the pool and do things that 3 weeks ago seemed like no big deal. But I _couldn't_ do it. I tried 3 times to go down and sit on the bottom and that old claustrophobia (sp?) was overwhelming. I just seem to have a hard time believing that I CAN breathe underwater. I was so tired of trying to work myself up, it just wasn't there. So I told my friend 'thanks for trying' and took off my equipment. I quit.

Do I feel better? Heck no. I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to overcome it. And with only 2 weekends between now and the time of our trip it seems like no use. My husband, of course, has already been able to finish his ow and is half way through advanced. ( he can go on days that I have had to work, plus he's a fish)

So, now I'm wondering, if I can get the 'psych' back, is it worth my trying? If I can get all of the basic exercises and written test finished here, what about getting someone to do my open water with me in the Keys? (what should that cost if I did? Do you have anyone who you could recommend?) Or, am I an accident waiting to happen? I don't panic underwater, I understand all of the safety issues, etc. But I know that the 'psych' would be a part of my diving for a long time. Or do I just go on the trip, enjoy it for what it is and maybe next time...?

Sorry for such a lengthy post. TIA for any input.

javamama

"Or do I just go on the trip, enjoy it for what it is and maybe next time..?

This diving sounds like something you are truly not into. Diving should be fun,relaxing and enjoyable. It sounds to me like you have to work to hard at it to make it any of the above. But in the end you will have to be the one to decide that.

Take the pressure off your self and give yourself more time to learn diving if you truly want to continue. I'm not an instructor(but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once)but I think you need to burn a few tanks sitting in a pool and then maybe playing around underwater as you feel like without worrying about skills to be done and deadlines to be met. I also think you need to do some soul searching about whether or not diving is for you.

My wife and I both are into diving. She does sky diving. I do SCUBA diving and NEVER shall the two mix!! I have a serious fear of falling and she has a serious fear of drowning.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

jbd

From the sounds of things (and i could be wrong here) it seems that you are, being rushed or rushing into, diving. If you really want to do this I would slow down and take baby steps. Everybody runs into problems during their pool and open water dives. Its only natural. My suggestion is to spend your remaining time before your trip in the pool so that you can become more comfortable and get your 'psych'
back. If you can get your 'psych' back then this will be totally worth it! Then when you goto the keys get a referal and finish your open water dives out there. The best thing you can do is take your time and make sure your comfotable.

Hope everything works out!

Javamama,
I'm even newbier than you are, but I guess I wouldn't force anything. Isn't there some way you can get more comfortable than going with your friend to a pool to learn these set exercises? A couple things occur to me - first that maybe going with a friend and not a "teacher" places you in a different relationship - teachers are more independent, maybe less loaded with any kind of emotional baggage than the people we know. Like a husband teaching his wife to drive, eg.

Second thing in getting comfortable might be to try getting out of the more formal "pool environment" and maybe just try some rec dive stuff to get the fun back into scuba. Dunno where you are, but maybe a river, the quarry, a lake or whatever without any force of having to get "on the program".

Or maybe just getting with a class and sharing your inexperience with other people would help you understand that it's not just "you", it's everyone who shares trepidations about breathing in an unnatural world. Sounds like you've got the motivation, but just need to rediscover how much fun you can have sharing the depths with fish, friends and flora. Good luck, have fun and don't worry too much about success or failure.
Terry

Hi Javamama,
Diving is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable adventure.Learning to dive may be something else. I know many people who "tried it/ loved it", several who "tried it / hated it" and a few who "tried to try it- but couldn't". They all succeeded -because they all tried.
You mentioned several things in your post that I would like to comment on.
First, you seem to be putting much pressure on yourself to be "ready" for your . If you are ready, OK, if not, there can be other trips. Try to not put "time pressure " on yourself. That type pressure can raise the anxiety level tremendously for a student in a dive class.
Second, you mentioned Claustrophobia as a cause for your difficulties. I have a friend who is claustrophobic, and wants to try diving. The info she has received-from several dive shop instructors as well as from people who treat claustrophobia-contains the following ideas, which may prove helpful.(You may have heard this all before, but just in case, here goes.)

1.)A clear mask may with side "windows" help by allowing in more light- therefore "opening up" the field of view.
2.) Try to locate an instructor who specializes in -or at least has experience with - teaching the skills of diving to someone with claustrophobia .The process of learning to dive may take significantly longer for you than for a person without claustrophobia, and an instructor with the appropriate experience would be able to create a more workable timeframe for this process.
3.) You may need to start in a one-on-one situation, and evolve into a more typical instructional setting.
4.)Realize that learning to dive is learning how to safely adapt to/explore a new environment and that everyone has a certain level of anxiety.
5.)Ultimately , if it comes to pass that you do not learn how to dive, realize that this should not be viewed as a failing on your part.It is an accomplishment in the attempt.

Hoping this input was helpful, and wishing you well in your efforts,
Miked

Javamama

I know you feel like you've failed...but hun you have done the complete opposite!!!

Your partner should be sooo proud of you.

I know your saying your diving for both yourself and your partner, but you want to take it slow...I'm impressed that you got as far as you did.

A few months back, I took a big group of people from my college to do a try-dive in a pool. We had loads of instructors who were all highly qualified. My best friend was there and she was a bit uncomfortable about doing the dive - the water was about 3 metres.

I got her one on one treatment with the best instructor there, but she was so uncomfortable she crawled out of the water crying. She felt disappointed in herself like she failed. I was really proud of her.....but she felt bummed and wanted to get back in. This time I took her down, and we did it at HER pace and now shes saving for her open water!

Your never a failure if you give something a go. Your a failure if you dont try it!

I learnt that recently. I wasnt going to try to do my DM course cause i thought i'd fail...now I'm doing it I am glad I am cause even if I dont pass....I know I tried.

Go on your hols - enjoy yourself! Maybe organise a try-dive and get your partner to come along so you get a dive together...but dont train! Do that when you get back....at your own pace, not one set down for you! And if you decide its not for you.....everyone should be proud you gave it a go!

Javamama, sorry to hear about your SETBACK. And I would look at it as just a setback. I also feel as Abby does, relax and go on your trip, try the discover scuba and try to enjoy it, that way you have no extra pressure on you. For most people it is not easy to get certified and need that extra time. Diving is a dangerous sport, you have to be relaxed and comfortable with what you are doing or you can cause yourself (and possibly other people) severe harm.

When you come back from your trip maybe find another instructor that will make you more comfortable (and I am not trying to imply your present instructor doesn't). Doing the skills in front of a stranger sometimes is better, less chance of thinking that you will be ridiculed by friends.

Good luck, I hope you give it another go. It is a beautiful world below waiting for you to explore.

I don't think that you're "giving up" or "throwing in the towel". If you don't like it; stop.

You gave scuba an honest shot (which is several more than I'm willing to give Sky Diving or hot Indian Curry-whew). Kick back, relax, and do what you like. Later if you want to try again, do so, but don't let any peer pressure make you.

You done good.

NO ICON

Javamama,

One of the nice things about being an adult is that for many things you can do as you please. One of the things that this is especially true for is your leisure time activity.

It is no fun to play at a game you do not like. it is doubly no fun to play a game you do not like for someone you do not want to disappoint.

Scuba Diving is unnatural: our bodies want to be where there is ample air all around. In order to dive we need to overcome fears that have been part of our genetic make up for millions of years. Some folks have a harder time than others.

What makes the difference is desire. The higher the hurdle, the greater the desire must be. Your hurdle is pretty high right now. It will not be made any shorter unless your desire grows.

So, you have to be truthful to yourself: how badly do I want to do this? If it is sufficient to get you back under again, the tasks assigned to you to get certed will diminish in demand with time. But, you have to want to do it--for yourself!

Joewr

JavaMama....

I'd agree with the others that you should learn to scuba dive at YOUR pace, and not under the self-imposed time constraints which were set by the pending vacation to the Keys.

BUT, all is not lost. I live in S. FLA and dive in the Keys. Don't sweat your lack of a C-Card on the vacation - just don the fins, snorkel and mask and view all from the surface. Many dive operators carry both divers and snorkelers on the same boat. You won't have the same experience of your beloved fish (I mean mate), but at least you'll get to experience a truly great change of "atsmosphere".

It also might help you get into that "psyche" which you desire. BTW, water temp at Key Largo yesterday was 86F!

Back
Top Bottom