Tickbox you prevent necroing/resurrecting old threads accidentally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, can we have something to prevent necro-ing threads?

I just did a necro and didn’t see the date of the previous post when hitting the reply button, the resulting mini-chaos seems to annoy people :)

The old board had a warning and a tick box for too old threads.

You could probably set it to 6 months as people can always bypass it if they want to?

I second this. People can still necro-threads, if they have a good reason to do so, but it can be sometimes fairly easy to accidentally necro a thread depending on how you browse.
I third this. I think the questions about resurrections should be repetitive also to ensure that the person really wants to resurrect a thread:
1. For threads between 6 months and 1 year: "This thread is X months old, are you sure you want to post?"
2. For threads between 1 and 3 years": First question from #1, followed by a second question "Is this really so important to you?"
3. For questions 3 to 10 years: First question for #1, then question from #2, followed by "Are you sick in the head that you want to resurrect such an old thread"
4. ..... you get the idea.

I third this. I think the questions about resurrections should be repetitive also to ensure that the person really wants to resurrect a thread:
1. For threads between 6 months and 1 year: "This thread is X months old, are you sure you want to post?"
2. For threads between 1 and 3 years": First question from #1, followed by a second question "Is this really so important to you?"
3. For questions 3 to 10 years: First question for #1, then question from #2, followed by "Are you sick in the head that you want to resurrect such an old thread"
4. ..... you get the idea.
After 10 years, you account is locked to only see the posts from Alaskan Scuba Dude without warning and the letter O of the logo is replaced by the head of a walrus laughing.

After 10 years, you account is locked to only see the posts from Alaskan Scuba Dude without warning and the letter O of the logo is replaced by the head of a walrus laughing.
D@mn, I got to make a mental note to not ever p!ss you off. You are more vicious than the Russian mob!

Some issues are timeless. The alternative to posting to “old” threads is creating redundant new ones. Just sayin’.

There should also be a warning if someone ELSE resurrects an old thread, because often I see it pop up with a recent comment not realizing the first comment was ten years ago. Maybe a gray banner for threads over five years old.

People don’t look at the dates of the last post at all.
I certainly don’t check it consistently. @lowwall can attest to it :)

On this board anyway I see thread necros often leading to useful new conversations, so i don't see it as a problem, especially when it is someone new with the same problem the last guy had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom