Tiger Beach Shark dives anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done the Tiger Beach shark dives that are being offered by Stuart Cove? Id like to get a feedback on that if possible. I was told that the only operator that did that was a liveaboard operator Jim Abernethy from Fort Lauderdale who was attacked by a Tiger shark and then all diving was abandoned. Any info on diving Tiger Beach will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim was "bitten" (not "attacked") by either a lemon or a reef shark almost two years ago while handling a crate of bait. It was clearly a "mistake" by the shark who was going for the bait. Jim received some stitches in his arm and is back going to Tiger Beach on a weekly basis. I've done this trip with Jim many times and would HIGHLY recommend it.

As far as the Stuart Cove trip goes, all I know is that they make it a day trip out of Grand Bahama. Sounds like a long boat ride.

Has anyone done the Tiger Beach shark dives that are being offered by Stuart Cove? Id like to get a feedback on that if possible. I was told that the only operator that did that was a liveaboard operator Jim Abernethy from Fort Lauderdale who was attacked by a Tiger shark and then all diving was abandoned. Any info on diving Tiger Beach will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like propaganda from Stuart Cove :)
Jimmy has as much passion today for Diving with Tigers as he did a decade ago. I doubt anyone on the planet has more time in the water with big Tigers, or as close a relationship to the monster Tiger shark Emma, that appears in the Movie Jim made with Guy Harvey and Wyland...
As to the nip Jim had from the bait crate incident, this type of issue was really never an issue--Jim was doing something they dont do, for a reason, and the nip is why they dont do stuff like this. With tens of thousands of shark encounters, Jim is the go-to guy for some of the biggest names in TV or movies when they want the experience....

There are two other boats running Tiger Beach trips. One is the Dolphin Dream and the other is the M/V Kate, my vessel which is sitting on tiger beach right now as I write this waiting for the sun to rise for a great day of filming sharks.

Last edited:
There are two other boats running Tiger Beach trips. One is the Dolphin Dream and the other is the M/V Kate, my vessel which is sitting on tiger beach right now as I write this waiting for the sun to rise for a great day of filming sharks.

Wonderful! Do you guys only do caged dives?

Might as well vist an aquarium as go on a caged dive. Or maybe just have someone else do the dive for you :)

Sinbad, I am not busting on you, just on cage operations.

I was looking for an out-of-cage experience. Since their website mentioned that their dives were only done from a cage I wanted to know if they were the only kind they offered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom