Tiger Sharks are back early this year!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be sad. As things stand, participate or not, your choice.

Richard.

Can't wait till US senate ban all shark feeding ops...
Keep waiting.........that bill hasn't moved since June and it's buried dead.

You need to come dive in Jupiter instead of the those soft places. This is where the best divers come for the great photos !!

Rather than re-enact it in this thread, here's a link to There's a bill in Congress to ban shark feeding dives. It's a complex issue where real world experience had often not lined up with what many people would've expected, and there are a range of species, locations & methods that don't invite painting with an overly broad brush. The issue is debated there.

I'm glad to see Scuba Works offering package deals that can help simplify trip planning and budget estimation, although it looks to me like all entail the customer staying at that same hotel (said to be a 'luxury' hotel). From the webpage:

"PACKAGE DETAILS

Our shark dive packages are based on the number of days you intend to stay for your shark diving experience. Each day costs $395.00 and each package is inclusive of 3 tank dive trips on the Emerald Charters with a gourmet lunch each day, 3 Nitrox tanks, and a room at the Wyndham Grand Hotel at Harbourside Place. Our packages are exclusive of airfare, transfers, gear rentals, and gratuities."

Anybody in the Jupiter area got experience with the Wyndham Grand Hotel, & care to comment on what staying there is like?

Another note; one of the advantages of a land-based trip over a live-aboard (I like both!) is that with some land-based locations, you don't pay much more for a hotel room with 2 - 4 people, for example, than for 1 person. So if you're traveling with family or friends, that can cut costs way down. So, is the Scuba Works $395/day package built to allow for people traveling together willing to share a room? What might they save?

Richard.

P.S.: I hope that bill is buried dead; I'd like to come dive with Emerald Dive Charters next spring and see 1st hand what I've been reading about, get to see some species new to me.

see next post below

Last edited:
Anybody in the Jupiter area got experience with the Wyndham Grand Hotel, & care to comment on what staying there is like?....
Yep and oohh it's sweet and Swanky !! Tiger Woods has his bar & restaurant right there also, you might see him. Looking at everything included in the price and getting within inches for a mouth wide open, shark jaws photo capture is tough to beat. If you have a girl that loves decorating for halloween and scuba dives, this is better than any Christmas present. When you add up a 3 tank dive, lunch, 5 star room with breakfast, in your face shark encounter, and the warm weather, yep pretty good deal for all of it with your girl.
P.S. I've got no financial gain from this post, I just love diving Jupiter for the last 20+yrs

I'm not entirely sure the bill is "buried dead;" given that it's an election year and Congress is having some major snafus on other issues that could hold it up but it could also mean people might see the title ("Access for Sportfishing Act of 2016") as a simple crowd-pleaser and vote without even particularly reading it. I know that the fishing lobby - which to be clear does not seem to have been behind the shark feeding ban, but is heavily in favor of the first part of the bill which prevents Biscayne National Park from enacting a no-take marine reserve within its boundaries - is pushing to get the bill passed before the end of the year; however that includes pushing the House version that does not include the shark feeding ban. I've gotten word that DEMA is fighting the feeding ban, which would put a major segment of the dive industry in opposition to it.

As far as the tigers, at least one of them has always come around in late September (and consistently it's been the same one and maybe a couple of the other regulars). I've heard of a few sightings over the past month, but it sounds like this was the first time in a while one came in to play for an extended period rather than doing a look and leave. Spring is still going to be the big get-together.

Why the nitrox requirement?

Because they have to get out past some mile-from-shore limit (don't rember exact distance), and it gets relatively deep. 90-100' from memory. Doing three dives/day at that depth... bottom time is really enhanced with EAN. Honestly, an air diver in the group would force longer surface times, limit bottom times for the group, which is typically managed by the DM on this type of dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom