Tiger sharks really do eat anything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased alot of $1 dvds at Walmart yesterday. Most of them were ocean documentaries. I thought they were going to be cheesy, but turned out to have alot of interesting footage.

In one particular documentary, called "Shark Quest", a couple of free-divers in Australia chum and attract a large tiger shark. It was a female, and appeared to have a distended stomach (pregnant maybe?). Anyways, the shark turned very aggressive, and started circling the divers, making lunges at them. So the divers got out of the water, and removed the chum buckets.

After the tiger shark calmed down and left the surface, the divers reentered the water. A reef shark (blacktip I think) showed up too. As the divers were filming, the tiger shark grabbed the reef shark by the tail, and began to slowly devour it alive. With the reef shark at a 90 degree angle on its side, the tiger shark slowly but methodically worked its way up until finally only the reef sharks head remained.

A few observations from me. It appeared that the reef shark may have been undergoing some tonic immobility, even from just being on its side. Secondly, tiger sharks appear to be more aggressive either when they are pregnant, or when divers lack scuba gear. Perhaps exhaust bubbles from scuba gear make the sharks more wary.

Yep, one very large one tried to eat my rubberized canvas kayak (Klepper folboat) in the Sea of Cortez back in 1971... with me in it!

drbill:
Yep, one very large one tried to eat my rubberized canvas kayak (Klepper folboat) in the Sea of Cortez back in 1971... with me in it!

My question is, which post are you replying to? :eyebrow:

Yikes! I watched a shark documentary with some guy diving with the world's most dangerous sharks. A huge female tiger actually ate a hammerhead while they were filming!

Cheers.

-J.-

Yes, I've done Tiger Beach several times. It's a great dive. The tiger sharks there are very slow and methodical. There are several "players" (Jim's term) that show up week after week. While it is a little anxiety-provoking the first time you drop in with several large tigers, the crew has been doing this every week for many years. It's as safe as diving with tiger sharks can be :)

Here's some photos from Tiger Beach:

img_0374a.jpg

"Bumped" by tiger shark
img_0385a.jpg

Tiger shark at night
crw_4828e.jpg

Debersole,

Yes...that's right. I traded a few e-mails with you awhile ago about Jim Abernathy
and Tiger beach.
Weren't you the guy with the young teenage son who dove Tiger beach with you ???

I still have not gone, but I just spoke to a friend last night about his trip in December, his stories have me chomping at the bit to get out there!...now it's just getting the money up for that one!

Also, I frequent your web site...GREAT pics.
I'm jealous of all your diving activity !

Great Tiger pics by the way...
Take care,
Bill

Bill:

Yeah, that's me. Here's the photo you're talking about:

crw_4508a.jpg

You really should go to Tiger Beach some time. It's great. Jim runs both Shark trips in the winter and also Shark and Dolphin trips in the summer. The winter gives you a chance to see great hammerheads but the weather is less predictable. Personally, I prefer the summer trips with the warm weather, calm seas, and snorkeling with dolphins. The tiger sharks are there year round. Actually, Jim just named one after my daughter, Kimberly. My Kimberly was the youngest tiger shark diver at the time (until my son the next year) and, as of about a year ago, the only female to do the night tiger shark dive (she was 16 at the time).

Doug

So where is this "Tiger beach"? I must go! How much fishing line is trailing form that shark in the pic?

Back
Top Bottom