Tiger Trip Report 9/12/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove the Tiger with Lynnhaven yesterday. Seas were 4-6 feet with the average around 5'. Onboard, were several OW students. There were quite a few seasick folks on-board. Upon arrival, the crew anchored in and the first couple of divers went in. The anchor broke free from the stern area of the wreck and the divers were picked up. A second attempt to tie into the wreck was made and anyone feeling up to diving could make their first dive.

Dive 1: My buddy was seasick and I ended up diving with one of the dive masters. Visibility at the very bouncy hang bar was 20' and visibility on the wreck itself was 5-10'. There was considerable current on the surface. We clipped my spool into the wreck and started exploring. I spotted a stingray, numerous Spades, Taug, and Flounder. The biggest surprise was seeing a good-sized Moray under some wreckage with my light. Dive buddy and I found some type of weird weight with writting on it but left it on the wreck. Other divers speared some gorgeous Flounder and several Spades. The rough seas made getting back on the boarding ladder very challenging and timing was crucial.

Surface Interval: One of the largest sea turtles I have ever seen made an appearance on the port side of the boat!

Dive 2: My dive buddy was still too sick to dive and the dive master and I from Dive 1 partnered up again. The hang bar did not seem to be bouncing as bad. We examined the ropes where Miss L. was tied into and all seemed fined. Once again tieing into the wreck, we spooled out and explored parts of the wreck we missed in dive one. Fish were still plentiful and I regretted not bringing my own gun to land some. The boilers and hull allowed many citters to hide. Swimming along the wreckage, I couldn't help but to think about the one crewman who went down with the ship or the other group of men onboard who had the misfortune of being torpedoed for a second time before arriving home. At the end of the dive I found two empty conch shells I decided to take home. After respooling the line, we discovered the ropes securing the boat to the wreck were gone. We decided to do a controlled free ascent. Upon reaching the surface, the Lindsey motored over to us to pick us up. Her ropes must have frayed loose due to the waves. Captain and crew did an excellent job of picking up all freely ascending divers and everyone made it back on board safely. I'm thankful I didn't get sick and was able to dive. While I enjoy some of the deeper wrecks, it was an enjoyable day diving and a chance to visit a local wreck of historical importance.

Nice report, I have yet to dive the Tiger as most of my dives are at the deeper end of the spectrum, but we did hit the Santore on 1 trip after trying to get to a deeper site was called due to very bad conditions.
We ended up with a very nice couple of dives with extraordinary vis. probably 40 -50 ft.
It is very unusual for Lynnhaven to have such a time keeping tied onto a site.

I'm going out with them on Sunday afternoon. Although I don't tend to get sea sick, flat seas are always nice to have.

I've heard the vis has been great and was hoping it would be on Weds but I'm kind of used to it, "growing up" with VA Beach diving. I forgot to mention the bottom temp was 70F.

It took some good wave action to have the wreck slice through the ropes and then drag the anchor. They said if there had been a small craft, the trip would have been called. I definitely feel for folks when seasickness hits. I remember on one trip, back in the 80's, we were on a trip to the Morgan and I was terribly sick, leaning over the rail and joining me in feeding the fishes was a F-15 pilot. When Mother Nature can cause a fighter pilot to toss their cookies you know you're in some chop.

Dennis, where are you heading out to on Sunday? Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Tower and Tiger it is. This is the first time I will be diving out of VA Beach. Most of my dives have been in FL.

I wish I was free to join you on Sunday's dive. The Tower is really cool because the place is usually swarming with marine life, as is the nearby Tower Reef with its sunken landing craft, small boats, and barges. When the Tower was decommissioned, a lot of stuff was thrown overboard by workers. My neighbor has pictures of coffee pots, etc. scattered about on the sand in the early 80's. I guess it also holds sentamental value because it was where I did my first "real" ocean dives after a few dives at the 3rd Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom