Tight Connection In Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use all the tricks, Pre, global entry etc...

The only thing is, most of the time the reality is with Global entry all you are doing is flying by everybody in the custom lines, only to end up waiting around for your bags while everybody you passed ends up catching up to you. In reality you are either waiting in the customs line or you are waiting for the baggage to eventually show up. Now if they could combine a fast bag pick up with Global Entry that would be really something I could enjoy. The reality is if you have checked bags Global Entry really saves me no time.

The only thing is, most of the time the reality is with Global entry all you are doing is flying by everybody in the custom lines, only to end up waiting around for your bags while everybody you passed ends up catching up to you. In reality you are either waiting in the customs line or you are waiting for the baggage to eventually show up. Now if they could combine a fast bag pick up with Global Entry that would be really something I could enjoy. The reality is if you have checked bags Global Entry really saves me no time.

We have not found this to be true at all. Always seem to be walking out of customs, with our checked bags, before the others on our flight even get through the first customs line. Even when others from the flight may catch us at baggage claim, we use the special Global Entry baggage line, usually with only one or two people in front of us, and still clear customs thirty or so minutes faster than everyone else. Other airports may be different and obviously your mileage may vary.

Cheers
Charles

We use all the tricks, Pre, global entry etc...

The only thing is, most of the time the reality is with Global entry all you are doing is flying by everybody in the custom lines, only to end up waiting around for your bags while everybody you passed ends up catching up to you.
I think you probably mean the Immigration line. Customs is after you have your bags.

Even when others from the flight may catch us at baggage claim, we use the special Global Entry baggage line, usually with only one or two people in front of us, and still clear customs thirty or so minutes faster than everyone else.

Cheers
Charles

Now I'm confused, never noticed a global entry baggage line? Maybe I'm having a brain fart here...

When making re-entry to the US, we exit plane in that contained jetway entrance that isolates you and takes you directly to customs. Instead of waiting in the regular custom line, we go to the global entry machine, print out our 'receipt' head over to the special global entry custom agent who we flash the 'receipt' to and he lets you out to where baggage claim is. Now we stand around for 30 minutes waiting for the bags to come out the carousel and everybody who we passed in customs now ends up standing next to us. (this is what I mean where we get through customs quick, but all we end up doing is instead of standing in line for customs for 30 minutes we end up standing waiting for the bags for 30 minutes) We retrieve our checked bags, head to the exit where you give the final custom agent the global entry receipt and he keeps it and you go on your way.

Is this different in some way? That's the process we go through.

The automated kiosks in Houston Immigration have sped things up significantly, but I still wouldn't schedule a flight out of there with less than a couple of hours to deal with everything. It's not just the immigration line; things really stack up in the TSA line to get back into the secured part of the airport.

We retrieve our checked bags, head to the exit where you give the final custom agent the global entry receipt and he keeps it and you go on your way.

After you collect your bags, there is still the line for baggage inspection which is usually very long. The extreme right hand line is reserved for Global Entry. It has really shortened our time through customs, especially when we have checked baggage. On a trip last year with our son and his family (not Global Entry), we had time to go get the car and meet them at passenger pickup just as they finished customs. I don't know how other airports do it, but IAH seems to work pretty well. Again, all this is probably variable depending upon time of day, week, month, or moon phase.

Cheers
Charles

However, if you don't check a bag, you can RUN out of the airport practically. One should be cautious with this.

When we first got global entry, we started flying airtran outta BWI who at that time didn't have it. The Customs guy I talked to kinda laughed when I asked if they would get it. Well they did. So that trip we got bulkhead seats. On exit, the people across from us let us out first. In BWI the lines are never long, so we were rushing to beat everyone else and see just how fast we could get out of the airport. We booked. No bathroom stops, no checked bags! Hit the GE machines, booked out the bag check, cleared customs. Then the missus said, where is the duty free alcohol? Son of %@#$%#$, $%^$%^$, ^*^&*^*, and a few other words, it is in the overhead still. So there was a nice SW lady there by where you recheck bags if you are going somewhere else. She called the plane. We stood there just outside the customs gate and watched every single person on the plane clear customs and leave before our booze showed up. Story of my life.....

Just don't check any bags! I recently bought the Oceanic JetPack BC, and it totally works as advertised. Fit everything I needed for a week long trip to Cozumel, including all equipment, and it fit nicely in the overhead bin.

Traveling light is not in my vocabulary.

Traveling light is not in my vocabulary.
Mine neither. I like to take my toys. I'm leaving tomorrow for a solo camping trip in Big Bend NP, and my Impala is full.
dance.gif

Just don't check any bags! I recently bought the Oceanic JetPack BC, and it totally works as advertised. Fit everything I needed for a week long trip to Cozumel, including all equipment, and it fit nicely in the overhead bin.
How big is your pony bottle? Do you wash your underwear often?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom