Tight or loose line when during wreck penetration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3 once bubbled...
Agreement's good, but don't use cave line in the Great Lakes, those zebra mussels can shred that stuff faster than you can say "oh s**t".
What do you guys use up there?

We use cave line. I've never had a problem with zebra's cutting my line, not to say others haven't. I have had them shred gloves but thats from cleaning stuff off to see if its anything worth ahhh looking at.

I use at least the next size up from cave line... which I think is rated #34 but can never remember... but have one reel loaded with 3mm equipment line. Almost indestructible -- zebras, rotten metal whatever -- and strong enough to help me reverse out of tight spots.

Take care in there!

Doppler once bubbled...
I use at least the next size up from cave line... which I think is rated #34 but can never remember... but have one reel loaded with 3mm equipment line. Almost indestructible -- zebras, rotten metal whatever -- and strong enough to help me reverse out of tight spots.

Take care in there!

Its #36, commonly called "wreck line". I prefer it also over the #24 "cave line".

WW

good point doppler! :wink:

it's helpful if you can assist yourself along with the line in a tight spot.

Bob3 bubbled: but don't use cave line in the Great Lakes, those zebra mussels can shred that stuff faster than you can say "oh s**t".

Agreed, I used chain saw/lawn mover pull cord.
It's 1/8 inch solid braid , 600 lb test nylon.

Mike D
:blfish:

canuckdiver once bubbled...
good point doppler! :wink:

it's helpful if you can assist yourself along with the line in a tight spot.

You shouldn't ever be using the line to pull on.... it's your one link to the way out. If it breaks and you're silted out you will truely be in a world of shi+.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

In MechDiver's words, I though "Horsepucky

Ahh, and everyone said I wouldn't leave my mark here :mean:

Very good thread BTW, should have gotten here sooner.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom