Tight or loose line when during wreck penetration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, as far as the question regarding wreck penetration without a line....

First, keep in mind that what we do is very likely NOT what you should do. Our techniques apply in a specific environment with specific levels of training and experience. What works for us may very well KILL YOU.

We do quite a bit of penetration without lines. Most of these involve artificial reef wrecks, wrecks with multiple entry and exit points and without a large amount of hanging debris on the ceiling. Those that are not artificials are wrecks that we are very familiar with.

Our water is warm, and generally clear not dark, cold, and murky. The people that do this are very experienced and are good at moving without kicking up the bottom. Sometimes we even take scooters inside. Depending on the wreck they can be a useful tool to help avoid kicking up the silt. They can also stir things up completely in a split second if you screw up.

The technique called "progressive penetration" involves very slow progress over a number of dives. Perhaps this would work if one had the wreck in their backyard but it takes a large number of dives to get very far inside doing it properly. Even so, a siltout is still very bad news without a line.

My recommended practice is to use a guideline at ANY time you are in an overhead environment. I do not recommend progressive penetration techniques but I realize that some very experienced and good divers use them.

WW

There are certainly divers with far more experince than I have in wreck penetration but I don't go in any overhead without a line. At the same time I still prefer to learn my way around. That way I have the best of both worlds.

Bob3 once bubbled...

Is that like leaving a trail of bread crumbs?
..I just pay close attention to where the fish are on the way in so I can remember the way out. For example, turn left at the red fish, and then make a right when you get to the second turtle..

j-valve once bubbled...
Sounds like fun to me... but I'll stick to driving go-carts indoors:wink:

Its very similar :)

WW

WW
You are very correct in your statements. I do believe that when entering a wreck you should have a line of some sort. However I have done wrecks without lines, but these are generally very clean wrecks with very little chance of silt outs.

Again thanks for the input.

T

Back
Top Bottom