Tighten your nuts!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valve Knob Retainer Tool scuba

I keep one of these guys in my save a dive kit as well as another one in my tool box. It's part of my pre-trip checks along with checking the IP of my regulators. Two simple maintenance things that are almost never taught to divers, but they can make all the difference in the world

tbone- how do you check IP?

Dive Gear Express
upload_2017-2-13_14-45-0.png

We had this happen once on a brand new deco bottle just before splashing and of course I had not brought my tool on the boat. Fortunately the crew wizard solved the problem.

With all this nut talk and with the title, I thought this thread was going to be another discussion about the nutcracker maneuver.

If you don't have a special tool you can just use a smaller screw driver and use it on half of the screw. Or do what bob does and file a gap in the middle of an old screw driver.

Was moving my doubles earlier this week when I noticed a nut on the floor, picked it up and set it on the bench. Never thought anything about it until I hoisted the doubles into the trunk and the handwheel fell off. Tightened with a regular screw driver but I was left wondering how tight I should turn the nut? Probably tightened about half way, with some play in the handle a result (was thinking that I shouldn't tighten fully so the spring would have some play). Any recommendations/guidelines on how tight to tighten the nut?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom