Time change (not)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or use Manual time settings instead of Automatic.

Both options are very easy if you KNOW to do that. But most people are used to their "automatic" settings working automatically.
Technology induced laziness. You didn't know you were wrong until you miss the boat the first day.

It all made perfect sense to me until gopbroek explained it.....
Selfish reasons, my next scheduled dive is at 8AM on 1 November. I am hoping none of the other scheduled divers over sleeps, by depending on a non analog clock with an automatic adjustment for the expected time change, and delays the trip.

Last edited:
Selfish reasons, my next scheduled dive is at 8AM on 1 November. I am hoping no one over sleeps.
Verify the time the night before and you are OK.

Selfish reasons, my next scheduled dive is at 8AM on 1 November. I am hoping none of the other scheduled divers over sleeps, by depending on a non analog clock with an automatic adjustment for the expected time change, and delays the trip.

Bought a new watch. I am currently into the analog heavy ones. (The heavy not expensive ones.) Now I don't know the date if the month before only had 30 days.....

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 07:22 AM ----------

Verify the time the night before and you are OK.

You mean he has to call all the other divers? :callme:

All the automatic time zone adjustments happened automatically and correctly with the spring DST changes in the rest of Mexico with my devices accurately setting themselves to "Cancún" time and the "Cancún" settings accurately being UTC-5 year-round. If you have any doubt, Bogota matches Cozumel's time year-round.

I strongly believe it's a mistake to think of any part of Mexico as being "on" any US time zone. Some of them match up pretty well, but time zones are literally like political borders, and different localities observe different DST dates (or none). People who spend most of their time in one time zone naturally want to understand one they're visiting in terms of what they're used to and to set their watches, but there are gotchas sprinkled through the year. The easiest thing is to listen to "welcome to Cozumel, where the local times is..." on landing, and set your watch accordingly if it's not one that reads time from elsewhere. If you have a watch that does set itself (phones, laptops, smartwatches, etc), the easiest thing is to compare what it says to what the flight attendant says in the "local time" announcement. If they match, you don't have to do anything. If they don't (and you're connected either to wifi or to the cellular network), you need to select a time zone. Whatever you do, do not choose any US time zone. Pick Cancún if that's a choice, or Bogotá if it's not.

This is neither difficult not time-consuming. By the time the plane had taxied to a stop, my iPhone, Apple Watch, and dive computer were all showing the local time. My MacBook and iPad showed the local time when I turned them one at the house and they connected to wifi. The only thing I had to do manually was switch the Local and Travel times on my dive computer, which takes 2 button presses. A mechanical dive watch might take 5 seconds to adjust.

To find how you need to change a watch when you go to Cozumel, found out the offset between your current time and UTC. Knowing that Cozumel's is UTC-5 year-round should make it very easy to figure out how to adjust your watch if you want to do it before you arrive on the island and someone tells you local time.

Last Sunday the cell towers on the island erroneously switch the time back so the clocks on the mobile phones were running an hour behind, that caused a lot of confusion and delayed departures, as I understand it. This morning computers (including my tablet) fell back but the cell phone tower dependant clocks and of course the dependable 'analog' clocks stayed correct.It is currently 05:30, not 04:30. If you are scheduled to Dive at 08:00 this morning, your boat is supposed to depart in 2 1/2 hours, or an hour and 10 minutes after sunrise. If in doubt as to the current time here is a good link Sun & moon times today, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel is currently at the same time as Eastern time, not Central Daylight Savings time like it was 3 1/2 hours ago.

Oddly enough, this morning my Mexican cell phone (Telcell) is showing the wrong time (as is this computer). But my US cell phone (Verizon) is showing the correct local time. My good old Citizen analog watch, not being changed is right on of course.

We have 24 divers out this morning and none were late or early so the word must have gotten around.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

This morning computers (including my tablet) fell back
Oddly enough, this morning my Mexican cell phone (Telcell) is showing the wrong time (as is this computer).
Check the clock setting in your computers to see which time zone they are connected to there.

Back
Top Bottom