Time for a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll ditto that! For the life of me, I'll never understand why many shops employ these 6-buck-an-hour kids who don't know squat about diving and couldn't care less. Even some of the more knowledgable ones often have an attitude problem. But then again, the saying "you get what you pay for" is probably why.

Originally posted by scubabunny
Staffing is #1! Get a staff that knows the gear, inside and out (not just what colors that BC comes in.) and make sure they are willing to go the extra mile to make the customer happy. In my opinion, no one should work in a dive shop unless they dive themselves.

I've run a dive shop before. Unfortunately the reason shop's employ "6 buck an hour kid's" is because the shop doesn't usually make enough money to employ quality staff. Let's face it, professional staff demands more money. Shop owners like to keep it for themselves. Ideally a shop's staff would be DM or above certified with a passion for diving and a great deal of local diving experience.

Luckily my dive shop has come up with a good solution. It is co-owned by an instructor and a DM but also has a dive club attached. All the DM qualified members of the club can go on the trips (free of charge, inc accomodation) when an OW or AOW course is running since the instructor can't possibly keep control of such a large group (all are insured btw). The owners are also the most unbiased pair of guys in the world when it comes to recommending equipment.

Another Idea...
Skip the shop and start a niche travel company, taking divers to remote exotic un/semi-dived locations and you & a small crew be the guides...

Benefits are
1. You get to dive (most shop owners are running the shop not diving)
2. You get to check out the local spots first (oops more diving)
3. It is a write off (IRS is crying while you are diving all over the world)
4. Then you get to bring back to a group to a dive the remote spots you found (guess what) you dive. This hurts....
5. When you are done, another benefit you have to do it again! Some more planning & Some more diving. This is a tough job but someone has to do it.
6. Want even less work partner with a travel company. What! Even more diving and less work...oh no....
7. Why on earth if you won the lottery would you want to start another business that would consume your time and do less diving...(if you think a start up shop is easy....no,no,no) All I want to do is sell my business and travel around the world and dive.
8. Want some good advice. Start a mortgage company with the money. Write 15 and 30 notes of A and B paper. Collect the checks every month and get in the water.....
9. I usually get paid over 500/ hour to help people and business fix their problems and speak to many new business owners. This advice I give you for free, If you love diving, dive, if your want a small business plan on not doing what you love for some time. It is part of the course to success. If you think not, please go to Vegas you stand a better chance and you will have a lot more fun...

When I walk over to the bikini section and try on a size 2, it fits perfect! (oops, that’s the FANTASY dive shop, not the ultimate dive shop)…sorry.

Doh! "Busted" again... hehe! LOL!

Hey King Neptune, when are you gonna come by and pick up the thong you left in my garage?

how many times have i pondered this, being in mn we have limited stores so the market is still somewhat virgin. but of the 3 stores ive dealt with 2 in mn 1 in co, id mold my store after 2 of them. the 1 in co by far is a ideal scuba store, so a bulk of themolding comes from them and 1 store in mn . both stores have nailed it in every area. great cust service, the staff at both places are scuba addicts who love the sport. they carry brands who stand behind the product and the staff test each line.

what stands out to me that makes a great dive store is the vibe, mojo, karma what ever you call it. when you walk in you feel the scuba love, its not money money money, rather you walk in u sense hey this store is cool and can help me out and not bull**** me.

what not to do is below

this is the sad case of the 3rd store ive delt with, its in mn also, the owners no longer have a love of the sport, its all about the cash, also they treat the dive staff as 2nd hand slaves with no true respect, it seemed are input dint matter, and the staff was compossed of very smart college educated folks, ranging a wide field to drawon but it was ignored. countless times ive seen this store treat the life blood the students and customers like crap, they would piss and moan over a trival question even though the person asking the question does not know its trival. the other part was with students, once the students have taken basic cert and gear the owners no longer put on the so called happy face rather this contempment for them cause theygot what they wanted themoney.

another BAD move is tellin the staff not to dive or become frineds with the students, countless times id make good friends with my students not only as a dm but when i became a owsi, but the owners of the bad store said dont do that cause its unprofessinal, BULLSH*T IS WHAT I SAY.

also be honest to the clinetale, anyone can detect lies and bullsh*t.

Back
Top Bottom