Time limits for Dive Masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabasard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am studying to become PADI's newest dive master and I know the physical requirements that must be met, the question is "How long a time to complete each task is equal to how many points?" I mean if I complete the 400 yd swim in 30 minutes is that a 5 or a 0? I do want to do better than just getting by, but I need a point of reference. BTW, hello, names Mark, nice to meet you one and all. (Atlanta, Ga.)

400yard swim:
5 Under six minutes
4 6 to 8 minutes
3 8 to 10 minutes
2 10 to 12 minutes
1 over 12 minutes
0 incomplete (stopped)
Times are longer for 400 meter distance.

15 minute tread (hands above water last 2 minutes):
5 Performed satisfactorily
3 Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire final 2 minutes
1 Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice
0 Used side/bottom for support more than twice

800 yard snorkel swim:
5 Under 13 minutes
4 13 to 15 minutes
3 15 to 17 minutes
2 17 to 19 minutes
1 more than 19 minutes
0 incomplete (stopped)

100 yard inert diver tow:
5 Under 2 minutes
4 2 to 3 minutes
3 3 to 4 minutes
2 4 to 5 minutes
1 more than 5 minutes
0 incomplete (stopped)

Combined score of 12 required prior to certification. Each exercise must be completed prior to certification.

Can't wait to see if I have what it takes, I just want to start teaching as soon as possible, just gotta get my next 57 dives in as soon as possible, if I wear my SCUBA gear can I count bath time as a dive? JK

fabasard once bubbled...
Can't wait to see if I have what it takes, I just want to start teaching as soon as possible, just gotta get my next 57 dives in as soon as possible, if I wear my SCUBA gear can I count bath time as a dive? JK

Don't be in a rush. The more personal dive time you log, the more effective you can be in helping others as you draw from your own experience.

From banking to dive instructor: that's quite extreme.
Hope it works out for you.
:snorkel:ScubaRon:mean:

stupid question here, but here goes...
is the swims and treads with or with out fins? i guess with snorkel there it realy was stupid, will check my post next time.

With SSI's Divecon I had to swim 400 yards without a time factor and then do a 20 minute thread. I've often wondered about the speed factor. What's the hurry, haven't we been diving for years going slow? :)

No snorkle is allowed.

fabasard once bubbled...

Why not?

On the other hand what's the hurry? They're pushing divers from beginner to instructor so fast that I can't tell the difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom