Time to try DIR fundamentals course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm the average 'experienced' recreational diver, and I'm looking to hone my underwater skills.

I hold an old FFESSM/CMAS 3 certification, as well as a PADI rescue (I wanted a refresher). I'm diving a somewhat hogarthian rig (oxymoron?) already, so after some research, the GUE fundies course seems like the best thing I could do.

Is it? Or would it be too hard? I don't care much about the certification itself as long as I get something out of the course - on the other hand I don't want to be a hindrance to other people in the course actually wanting that certification.

Anyone has any other recommendations?

Hi, I am a new diver myself (~ 40 dives, AOW with PADI) and I will take GUE Fundamentals in August. I have your same feelings. If I fail, I will try again, but I want to get the training. I do not want to develop bad techniques so far that it is difficult to get rid of them later. From everything I hear it is worth to take the course as early as possible because once you have developed certain "vices" in your diving it will be more difficult to pass.

A good friend of mine failed Fundamentals the first time he took it (not even a recreational pass) and he still says it was the best spent money he ever put in diving because of how much he learned in the course. He is now Cave 2 certified with GUE.

A lot of divers take Fundies with the mindset that they want to learn the information and add to their toolbox....some divers take Fundies because they have to take it to go on to the next class (most of the time, these are the ones that try to learn the skills before the class, put a lot of pressure on themselves, and get overly disappointed when they are not given the tech pass on the first try).

If you go in with the mindset that you are there to gain some new knowledge, become a better team member, and become a more confident diver, I would not hesitate to take the class.

Another option is to take UTD Essentials. It's very similar to Fundies, but it's not a pass/fail class....so that could be a good option for someone like yourself who's not overly worried about passing (and is worried about holding up the class). You can get the tools and then do with them what you'd like in the future.

Fundies is a great forum to learn new skills.

Don't go in there worried about getting a card. The card is not the goal.

Just go in there with lots of questions and an open mind.

The over-arching theme of Fundies is to prepare divers to begin learning how to safely negotiate enclosed spaces, where un-necessary movement, lack of control over trim and bouyancy, and a failure to understand breathing techniques (which contributes to the aforementioned issues) could result in silting out the confined space.

It doesn't much matter (in the larger sense) whether the enclosed space is a cave or a wreck, silting it out is certain to make your negotiating the obstacles more challenging.

So Fundies is about simple things done precisely. I hope you enjoy the course.

Best,

Doc

ptyx, I am in your same category and will be taking the class in July. I fully expect not to get the tech pass the first go round which should make the class much more enjoyable from what I gather from other's experience. Luckily, High Springs is not such a bad drive from where I live for the follow-up.

I would have to agree with ligers that Essentials is definitely a good place to start. The purpose of hte class is not to pass/fail a diver, but to show them the skills that are the foundation for DIR and how to practice those skills. Knowing that you are not there to be graded allows you to relax and learn without the fear that you are not going to pass or get frustrated when something isn't going just right. Looking at is as a transition class, it was also nice to have a reduced exposure so that you don't explode from information overload.

Having just taken the class, I will say that it is definitely a humbling experience. I took the class with a PADI DM (and this is not intended to be a bash session) and he felt very humbled after taking the class as well. With that said, we know where we stand skill wise and what areas we need to focus on before taking a class such as Fundies.

It was also nice to be video taped and watch what you are actaully doing underwater as opposed to what you think you are doing. I think we were all suprised with what we saw, both good and bad. I think this, in itself, was worth the time an money of the class.

Fundies is about simple things done precisely.

Truer words have never been spoken......I even heard tell of a future GUE instructor who plans to leave that phrase on the whiteboard for the duration of his classes....:wink:

Don't get caught up in the pass fail thing. Learn during the class and go forth and become a better diver. This will be the best money you ever spend on your diving education, regardless of outcome.

definitely take the Fundies course

if OW and Rescue is an Associates degree, Fundies is a BA on the basic skills you need as a diver

when you pass Fundies (and you will) you will have rock-solid diving practices under your belt

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!
I'll try to schedule it!

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. I don't know where in CA you are, but you have really good options for either class which has been recommended. In Monterey, you have Beto Nava, who teaches a rocking Fundies class, including some pool time. In SoCal, you have Michael Kane and Karim Hamza in LA, both of whom have excellent reputations, and Marc Hall in San Diego, who is a heck of a nice guy (I've met and dived with him). You also have Andrew Georgitsis in Monterey, and Andy Huber (who is also a good guy and a good diver -- I've cave dived with him) and Jeff Seckendorff as UTD instructors. (I think there's somebody else down there, too, but I can't get to the UTD site from work.)

Either of the classes will hone your skills, as well as hook you up with a whole community of fun divers who are willing to help you practice -- and in the process, get out diving to use the new stuff you've learned and see how much it increases your fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom