Time to Weigh in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally got very tired of the weight belt very fast, because - no matter how snug I pulled that darned thing, I had to tighten it first thing before descending. The moment I got in the water, that belt would loosen up and start slipping down my non-existent behind.

Weight-integrated BC also made it easier to distribute the weight more evenly, with the low front pockets, and higher rear pockets.

Not to say that those who do things differently are wrong - just that this is what I found I prefer, and why.

I use a weight belt but ultimately chose a neoprene style. It was easier on the hip bones. I can if necessary give or take weight from it.
I do occasionally have to re-adjust it on descent but I don't mind, I usually adjust the BCD anyway.
The back inflate BCD I have is setup for integrated weights but I don't use them but may to adjust trim a bit since it does push me over forward on the surface a bit (I have unused pouches on the back so I will try some experimenting.)
Some boats (smaller) have a mate/captain that pulls up you gear while you are in the water, and thay are not a huge fan of heavy integrated weights as they say in the long run, it's harder on their backs. It is their job and don't mention it unless asked. You should still do what you want but if you dive extremely heavy (which may indicate bouyancy/weighting problems), take the crew into consideration if they pull gear into the boat for you.

I love the warmth of the tropics but if I can get more diving in up here it might be worth a try. Did you ever try one of the crystal clear small springfed lakes in northern Wisonsin? It seems like it would be interesting. When diving Lake Michigan or superior is there good clarity and do dry suits keep you pretty warm? Thanks for your input!

Lake Michigan and Lake Superior kind of depend on where and if you hit the right day. The 100+ deep wrecks tend to be very clear. I have a video on the web of the Walter B Allen off Sheboygan where we must have had 200+ foot viz. Shallower stuff, like 50 fow you can expect 20-40 in general. Fresh water wreck diving is all about learning about the wreck and the circumstanses that surround their sinking. The really cool thing is there are schooners out there that sank in the 1860's - 1880's and they still look like they could sail away. Kind of how Hollyweird portrays things, but in real life.
For inland dives, Lake Wazee in Black River Falls can be fun. The only time I've been up there and had decent viz was ice diving though. If you want great viz, visit Fortune Pond which is in Upper Michigan near Crystal Falls. 80+ foot viz is the norm there.
Dry suits are the way to go up here and don't forget the dry gloves when it really gets cold. I almost never dive wet anymore. My last dive was up near Gills Rock in Door county. My dive club did an ice dive on the Fleetwing. Air temp 11, water temp 30. I was just fine in my dry suit. As a matter of fact, I dove with a couple beers in my drysuit pockets and enjoyed one with a friend after the dive. They were just right. LOL. Door county alone has many dive possibilities. Lot's of good shore dives up there and good wreck diving too.

Jim

Nothing like a little humor in life! When I read your comment about thebeers in your pockets I had a good laugh! Life is what you make of it! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom