Timex Helix DM...good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen mention of the Timex Helix DM on this board. It looks like it is pretty nice. I wanted something to back up my computer and that looks like it would work pretty well. I was just wandering if anyone else had used one and if so, what did you think?

I have a Helix Depth and it works pretty much as advertised. It has a nice big face and a good backlight.

My major complaint is that the wristband is way too short to fit over a wetsuit. I don't understand how they could have designed a dive watch with such a short band. I bought a Waterborne band for it, but it looks ridiculous.

Be aware also that the watch is very large. I was a little stunned when I took it out of the box. This is what makes it look so silly with a replacement band.

On the whole, it does what it says it will do, but for just a little bit more, you could get a basic dive computer.

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

You do not need this at all! They are not accurate and you can best put your money elsewhere.

If you are doing mix diving, then plan your dive using soemthing like decoplanner and put your schedule in your wet notes, that is all you need, and that is the most accurate info you will get.

I didn't ask you if I needed it. I was asking what people thought of the watch itself. If you don't like it just say so.

And it was more accurate then my Dive Master's computer!! Last dive I went on and rented the equipment, didn't include a computer. So my watch was all I had to depend on. It worked great. Tells the temperature of the water, remembers how deep you went and the timer starts and stops automatically. I would recommend it.

Heather.

It works as advertised, and is very easy to read because of its size and backlight. However, the band is too small for most folks. Either clip it on or replace the band.

I've used the Helix DM for my last 5-6 dives, and have compared it with my Octopus Depth Guage. It has been very acurate so far and I'm generally happy with it. My only concern was with a couple of conflicting statements in the owners manual. The response I got from the Timex Customer Service was even more distressing. Go to the www.roodfam.com/helix.htm to read the actual emails from them.=-)

I like mine too. My complaint is regarding the band which blows. Right now it is just attached to my SPG as a reference/backup/timer.

I have pushed my buttons under water. Usually it's the start stop or reset buttons. So far it's still waterproof! I've also hit the button to light it up, cause on night dives I couldn't see it.

Just remember...Do not eat watch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom