Tina Watson Death - The Full Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He certainly didn't appear to be angry or wanting revenge. As he said, he just wants to move on and get on with his life. A pity though 60 Minutes didn't have more of Dr Edmond's information in the story.

Yes I agree.. I was hoping the segment would be longer! I have to say if I had been through what he has I would be pretty ticked off. I am afraid I wouldn't be so forgiving:doh:

It was good that Carl got the air consumption data into the show. I must add that it was someone on ScubaBoard who posted back in early February a statement which made me think about what her air consumption would have had to be if Gabe did turn off her air as the Police allege. When I worked this out I was astounded as to how high it would have to be (over 110 litres a minute). I then told Carl about this and he also did the calculations independently to confirm what I had calculated. We came up with roughly the same figure (only difference relates to assumptions about the depth at the time).

I was really hoping that he would have a chance to explain the dive sequence. Explain why Gabe couldn't get down to her! On our dive today at Shelly right near the exit point I found a golden crested weedfish. My buddy is a pretty keep photographer but he was too light and only managed two quick shots.. couldn't get down to take the shots. Reminded me of this case!

The thing that gets me is me is just how poorly Gabe has been portrayed by the media all these years. I found him perfectly "normal". He obviously did some dumb things, but I would too under that amount of stress.
Agree with the others - I wish they'd given the good doctor just another 60 seconds, but that's the nature of current affair shows these days.

Yes, needs a good five minutes to properly put all the case together, poorly trained, overweighted, current, inexperience, panic, bad decision and how she died.

Any last questions before I stop posting to this thread?

Thanks for your thoughts, your effort, and your commitment. It has been a pleasure.
We WILL dive together one of these days. In the meantime we'll chat on some other threads!
Cheers!

The transcript of the show is here: Deep Trouble.

There does not appear to be any video available.

It scratches the surface, barely. It still contends that Tina had 11 dives and Gabe had 55. It doesn't explain any of the science behind Edmund's statements, but it does let him emphasize that the type of accident was common and not out of the ordinary. It states that it is "amazing" after nearly 9 years, the police had no comment beyond a generic written statement.
It attempts to tell the "human" side of the story and seemingly represents Gabe as a descent guy. Overall, not as poor as expected... :wink:

Upon being asked why Gabe did not fight the plea agreement, he states:

Gabe Watson:
To fight the whole thing, I could have been held on remand for two, three, four, five years. The amount of money that it would have cost for a trial and the fact that the breach of duty of care – there was there was no way I could have been found not guilty.

Interesting. Watson believes there was no way he could have been found "not guilty" in Queensland.

I think you will find he was referring to the manslaughter charge, not murder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom