Tina Watson Death - The Full Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes that came across very clearly in the interview that he was talking about breaching a duty of care and the negligence/manslaughter case. There are too many cases of people pleading to a lesser charge to "get it over with" and "spare prohibitive costs". Sad the justice seems to be sacrificed in such a way!

Here is a link to the 60 Minutes story. Not sure if US people will be able to view Sixtyminutesv2 - Video Index. Select from the video list on right.

Well, that is all from me, one last reminder, my articles on this are Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site and people can email me and I will respond.

Unfortunately, the small minded people who believe all that the media has fed them over the past 8.5 years are never going to be convinced that Gabe is innocent. All I can say to them, the vast majority of scuba divers who know the real story do not believe he is guilty.

Good-bye.

Here is a link to the 60 Minutes story. Not sure if US people will be able to view Sixtyminutesv2 - Video Index. Select from the video list on right.

Well, that is all from me, one last reminder, my articles on this are Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site and people can email me and I will respond.

Unfortunately, the small minded people who believe all that the media has fed them over the past 8.5 years are never going to be convinced that Gabe is innocent. All I can say to them, the vast majority of scuba divers who know the real story do not believe he is guilty.

Good-bye.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks again Michael for the insights provided into this case through your careful research. Your selflessness and commitment to the truth has been inspiring. It has had a big impact on my thinking on the case and I suspect many others on the forum. You may never fully appreciate the influence it has on the wider community.

Upon being asked why Gabe did not fight the plea agreement, he states:

Gabe Watson:
To fight the whole thing, I could have been held on remand for two, three, four, five years. The amount of money that it would have cost for a trial and the fact that the breach of duty of care – there was there was no way I could have been found not guilty.

Interesting. Watson believes there was no way he could have been found "not guilty" in Queensland.

I think you will find he was referring to the manslaughter charge, not murder.

That is clearly not true. Watson had only been charged with murder in Queensland - never manslaughter - so the only charge he could have answered to was murder. The plea agreement was manslaughter. Good try, though.

Ayisha I guess we can all read it and interpret it however we want which is proof that the lawyers were right in telling Watsons not to speak publicly until after the trial.
When you look at the question that Gabe answered they are clearly talking about the manslaughter charge!
LIZ HAYES: Two years after Tina’s death, a coroner determines Gabe Watson has a case to answer. He was charged with murder. But Queensland prosecutors accept that there is not enough evidence to proceed. Instead, Gabe pleaded guilty to manslaughter – for breaching a duty of care by leaving Tina his dive buddy. He spent 18 months in a Brisbane prison. Why did you do that? It’s an incredibly generous thing for an innocent man to do. Why didn’t you fight that?

GABE: To fight the whole thing, I could have been held on remand for two, three, four, five years. The amount of money that it would have cost for a trial and the fact that the breach of duty of care – there was there was no way I could have been found not guilty.

The fact that he has reason to feel this way gives me cause for concern when diving in Queensland!

I know what my impression is, I know what Clownfishsydney' interpretation is after he spoke in detail on the subject with Gabe. I think I will just leave it there...

Last edited:
LIZ HAYES: Two years after Tina’s death, a coroner determines Gabe Watson has a case to answer. He was charged with murder. But Queensland prosecutors accept that there is not enough evidence to proceed. Instead, Gabe pleaded guilty to manslaughter – for breaching a duty of care by leaving Tina his dive buddy. He spent 18 months in a Brisbane prison. Why did you do that? It’s an incredibly generous thing for an innocent man to do. Why didn’t you fight that?

GABE: To fight the whole thing, I could have been held on remand for two, three, four, five years. The amount of money that it would have cost for a trial and the fact that the breach of duty of care – there was there was no way I could have been found not guilty.
red and bold added

You're picking the parts you like rather than looking at all of it in context. He's talking about "fight(ing) the whole thing"; being held on remand; the cost of a trial for, wait for it, MURDER. He couldn't have been held for a manslaughter trial since he had never been charged with manslaughter. Sorry.

red and bold added

You're picking the parts you like rather than looking at all of it in context. He's talking about "fight(ing) the whole thing"; being held on remand; the cost of a trial for, wait for it, MURDER. He couldn't have been held for a manslaughter trial since he had never been charged with manslaughter. Sorry.

Not sure of the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting this makes Gabe a murderer? Do you think that Gabe is still a murderer? Do you still think that Tina died as a result of asphyxiation or are you now prepared to concede that point? In line with the challenge I threw out recently, with reference to the fateful dive, do you have any substantiated evidence that Gabe murdered Tina?

Not sure of the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting this makes Gabe a murderer? Do you think that Gabe is still a murderer? Do you still think that Tina died as a result of asphyxiation or are you now prepared to concede that point? In line with the challenge I threw out recently, with reference to the fateful dive, do you have any substantiated evidence that Gabe murdered Tina?

My point is exactly what I stated earlier:

Interesting. Watson believes there was no way he could have been found "not guilty" in Queensland.

Watson's counsel really should have advised him to not speak about the incident even after the trial. Especially Watson of all people. He's very quotable, shall we say. His counsel probably will advise him to not speak further after that blunder.

My point is exactly what I stated earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Ayisha View Post

Watson's counsel really should have advised him to not speak about the incident even after the trial. Especially Watson of all people. He's very quotable, shall we say. His counsel probably will advise him to not speak further after that blunder.

If I understand it correctly, the reason he could not have been found "not guilty" in Queensland was because of a unique law there, A law that to my knowledge exists nowhere else.

Back
Top Bottom