Tioman vs Redang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
No one ever compared Tioman with Redang. Why? So now this.

I have the option of staying in Berjaya Redang or Berjaya Tioman. So which should I choose. Berjaya Redang is like so far away from the other good dive centres while Berjaya Tioman is just a hill away from Julian's Tioman Dive Center.

So any advice?

Lucifer_Light:
No one ever compared Tioman with Redang. Why? So now this.

I have the option of staying in Berjaya Redang or Berjaya Tioman. So which should I choose. Berjaya Redang is like so far away from the other good dive centres while Berjaya Tioman is just a hill away from Julian's Tioman Dive Center.

So any advice?

Lucifer,

Both Tioman and Redang have their own attractions.

I have been diving both for years and have always enjoyed myself at both these islands.

I noticed that you are fairly new to diving. In this case , it does not really matter which island you go to. You will enjoy either. Both destinations offer very good dive sites. You should do both at some stage as they are both within easy travelling for you from KL.

You mentioned the Berjaya resorts on both islands. These are both acceptable in terms of accomodation standards. Personally I prefer other resorts which rather more low key and more relaxed atmosphere. I am a little negative towards Berjaya becos of the way they developed the resorts; I believe has contributed substantially to degradation of these islands.

On Redang I prefer Redang Holidays Resort and on Tioman I prefer Paya Beach Resort.
Other nearby destinations you might wish to consider are Pulau Aur and my favourite Pulau Tenggol.

My first trip up to Tioman left me with somewhat a negative impression...I would choose aur over tioman,though the stuff at tioman is bigger(and also no triggers!!). The dive sites left me unsatified.The only good dive was at Bahara rocks.

I would like to try Redang when i have the time.

dive_lover88:
though the stuff at tioman is bigger(and also no triggers!!)

What!!!???? Where did they go since 1999???

Most of the DMs/Instructors I met on Tioman had trigger scars on their foreheads! (Titans just love your mask!)

I liked Redang better.

Kim:
What!!!???? Where did they go since 1999???

Most of the DMs/Instructors I met on Tioman had trigger scars on their foreheads! (Titans just love your mask!)

Agree with u...got hit at the back of my head at Tioman by the Titan! Managed to dodge when it went for my forehead, then it turned back & went for the back of my head! :00zz:

Redang is a great dive destination. It is now only a shadow of what it used to be before Berjaya moved in to build their resorts, golf course and airport. Nevertheless there are still some of the best dive sites of Malaysia around Redang. I don't like the tractors and backhoes which race up and down the beach and also the disco music blaring into the early hours of the morning.

Tioman has good dive sites, although some of the dive operators may only take divers out to easily accessible and easy dive sites. Tiger reef is excellent but new divers may find the strong surface current harrowing. Magician Rock at certain time of year offer chances to see whale sharks and mantas. Labas has beautiful corals and swim-throughs. You get to see 'bigger stuff' at Chebeh. Malang rocks is a easy,shallow dive with beautiful hard corals. These are only some of the sites.

Trigger fishes at tiger reef are famous !!! I 've been attacked many times . Always makes me laugh when I see others fighting them off. Ouch ! but no serious injuries !they are cute when they go on their sides as a warning before they attack. they are not mean- just protecting their nest when they are nesting.

My point is that for those with easy access to both islands is that it is definitely
worth it to do both these islands and others as well and not bother with comparisons.

I dont' get it. The triggers on the west coast are tame. I've gotten very close without any aggressive behaviour. In fact, most west coast dms don't even bother to warn divers about triggerfish. On the east coast of malaysia/thailand, the triggers are downright mean. The always seem to be looking for a fight.

When I was there the DM's made sure everyone understood the hand signal for danger. If they saw a Titan they used it immediately and headed in a different direction.

Back
Top Bottom