Tipping Diving Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't usually tip instructors, but I will definitely refer other people to instructors I've really enjoyed working with.

Please do tip your DM though :D

I am an instructor, tipping is not only OKAY, it is appreciated. Scuba Instructors don't make a lot of money, we aren't in it for the money, I do this for a living, but... if I wanted more money, I would just go back to a finance job... but, since I chose to do this and go without the money, a tip helps fund taking my girl out to dinner and just having better day.

I gave money.. who wouldn't want that!? buttt.. to be honest I think it means more if you give something that takes a little thought. Not too over the top, but money is not memorable. If the experience was memorable then the gift should show that. If they were fun instructors then I say bottle of patron. If they were good instructors but patron seems inappropriate for some reason then I suggest a nice dinner. You know of some in your area I'm sure :).

I have made it a point to inform my students that tipping the DMs is certainly appreciated, not necessary mind you, but a nice token. Even as a newbie instructor I've received tips but I figure they go to the DMs too. (At my shop, ONLY the "lead instructor" gets paid -- everyone else, and there are a lot of "everyones" does it out of respect.)

I have never tipped an Instructor or DM (I have not dived in resorts where tipping is normal practice and would in such places) but have frequently bought them a few beers in the pub later. Some of them have become good friends.

so far i have lunch and a bottle of wine... now is that with or without candles... dont wanna be out of line... :)
Candies are okay too--but don't expect him to sleep with you until Rescue at least. :wink:

Give cash if you like. I've tipped instructors before and they do appreciate it. They can always convert it into their favorite beer if they want. You can dress it up in an envelope to make it look pretty.

It is always appropriate to tip for good service. Anywhere...any time.
I wonder if my Harvard- and Stanford-educated doctor would think it appropriate if I slip her a fifty after my next visit. Somehow I doubt it.

I wonder if my Harvard- and Stanford-educated doctor would think it appropriate if I slip her a fifty after my next consultation.

Based on what managed care reimburses for a consultation these days, she might well appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom