Tipping Etiquette for diving and course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah, I think I will become selfish like some and just look out for number 1. Do the bare minimum, you know, just look out for myself. Not grow the sport, I mean its just about me right? /sarcasm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PS: I thought I would add, I've learned my lesson, I tip the service worker. Some just don't get it.

I have worked on boats for many years and in 5 different continents. Generally I find that tips are a personal thing based on service received and that is what it should be. If the instructor, guide, crew do a good job and you get a good service, like in a restaurant you give a tip. It is not expected, but always gladly received.

Having read through some of the comments I am surprised on how much many of you think we earn..... it really isn't as much as you think.
I have worked for 30$ a day, and this is an 11 hour day, hauling tanks, filling them, washing gear. I have regularly done 6 training dives a day just to fit in what needs to be done, but with no extra pay. We do this job because we love to do it, yes, but it is also hard work, if it doesn't look like it to you when you are on the boat, then we are doing the job correctly as you don't see what is happening behind the scenes.

The cost of the course or trip is not reflected in the pay the DM or instructor receives in most cases, often if we have 4 students we get the same pay as if we had 1.

I did my OW certification in Seattle and I didn't tip because I didn't thought about it. There were 4-5 of us in the class and instructor had 2 DM trainees to help her. The training was good but I didn't think anyone in my class tip our instructor so it never crossed my mind. I found out about tipping instructor when I read this thread. When I go diving, I always tip 15-20% of the diving cost and I do it each day. So far, all DMs have earned it. They looked after me and my wife, took me around and show me stuff that I could never find on my own, made sure we had a great time ...

I dove with B&B last year and the crew was great. I came back to the shop to pick up my pictures CD and met the DM. He thanked me again for the tip and I told him that he earned that. I know about the preparations that DMs have to do before each dive trip and the cleaning up afterward to make my diving easy and enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom