Tipping Etiquette for diving and course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Puerto Vallarta most DMs get about $10 per person. There might be 4 or 5 persons on a good day, one or two if any during low season. They haul the tanks, I help to get some exercise, wash all my equipment, very well by the way and hang up all my stuff back at the shop. They share tips with the whole boat since the captains are all hired help as well. The cost of living here is quite high being a resort city so I tip about $25 or $30 per day for a 2 tank dive.

This may be a little late for Torontonian, but as divers, I think it is a good idea to share our experiences.

Diving is basically a service industry. When you go to a restaurant, you order food, you eat, you pay. But what about the service?

I tipped my first Open Water instructor about $10. But would you believe it, I tipped him two years after being certified! At the time, I was on holiday in Phuket, Thailand and never even thought about it.

I had a great time. He was very calm with me, gave me a lot of interesting facts and we had fun. I am now and instructor and I know how much "more" he gave.

I even tipped my Course Director, AFTER, I recieved my OWSI.

In Cozumel, I paid for my wife's OW course and went with her on her first two training dives. At the time I was a DM but played the part of a student. He was very professional and helpful.

On the second day of diving, I went out and dived the "best" sites while my wife finished up her course. I asked her about her day and she said she had had a great time and her instructor was very considerate. "BINGO!" Consideration is a priority in my life. I gave him a $50 dollar tip! In Mexico!

Boat diving is the same but generally I tip about the cost of a couple of beers. The costs are different in every country for beers, so the tip is relatively the same. Now that I'm an instructor, I'm a little more severe. If I can find more things than the guide, I get a little tight fisted.

Always remember, even a simple "Thank you" and a smile means a lot to a DM. It won't help pay the bills but it makes them feel good.

I was in Cozumel for a week with a group, so we rented out a whole boat to ourselves each day. We had the same guide every day. One error we made was waiting until the end of the week to tip the guide and the guys that washed our gear for us. Better off to do it daily. That way, they know you are taking care of them instead of guessing whether you will or not. Americans tend to be good tippers anyway, (Europeans not so much) but follow this tip and you'll have a great week.

Wrote alot about tipping in The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette. Abent the snarkiness and sarcasm, for day boats we suggest the following : 1. Tip something. 2. Always tip in cash. 3. Tip five to ten dollars per tank per diver, depending on service rendered. 4. You should tip more if the divemaster retrieved the piece of gear you dropped overboard, or saved your life, or did something else special like that. 5. Tip every day since the crew and dive masters may change daily. We have different rules for liveaboards. Have to get the book for those, though.
DivemasterDennis

Coming from the perspective as a tank monkey that busts his ass when he works and going WAY out of his way to make an experience good. Tip!

I've learned my lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know, nothing is more irritating than the person who thinks they have a tip coming just because they did their job. There are many people who bust their butts all day long and never ever get a single tip. A tip is something extra, not owed, not expected. its a way a person says thank you for what they feel was something extra you gave in your service. Most of us(I would like to think) work in this industry because we love what we do. we don't expect to make a lot of money but we get to do what we love.consider this. maybe they didn't tip, maybe where they come from tipping is not a custom or its usually added to the overall cost. but in any event they don't but they refer all their dive buddies, which gets you back in the water for another day of work, so consider every referral and every repeat customer as your tip, and keep i mind that there are more ways then one to be rewarded for your good service. just saying.

You know, nothing is more irritating than the person who thinks they have a tip coming just because they did their job. There are many people who bust their butts all day long and never ever get a single tip. A tip is something extra, not owed, not expected. its a way a person says thank you for what they feel was something extra you gave in your service. Most of us(I would like to think) work in this industry because we love what we do. we don't expect to make a lot of money but we get to do what we love.consider this. maybe they didn't tip, maybe where they come from tipping is not a custom or its usually added to the overall cost. but in any event they don't but they refer all their dive buddies, which gets you back in the water for another day of work, so consider every referral and every repeat customer as your tip, and keep i mind that there are more ways then one to be rewarded for your good service. just saying.

I'll remember that the next time I stay late on a Sunday (like 1hr) waiting to drive 1:45hrs because some lovely customers want to socialize, after humping my ass off for the weekend making sure tanks are filled promptly, donating my own equipment so a dive isn't cancelled, free (my water) given out, help loading vehicles (not even close to my job description by the way), and picking up their trash which was dropped 5' from the can, picking up used catheters was not in my job description by the way. Just so I can get free dives (none on the w/e I dive because of being busy) and free fills. Did you catch the part about my drive to get there?

Yep, I sure feel rewarded. Face/palm

FWIW, I don't sit there with my hand out, I just do the JOB! And I still loan my gear KNOWING they don't get it by the way. Just saying.

I tip up front

just works out better

granted, I usually want some thing ( to solo with the camera, a certain site, not be forgotten on a drift )

The last AM pick up in Palau usually gets me an extra hour of sleep :acclaim:

Not that I think I know everything, but I've been around the block

You are welcome

be discreet of course

I'll remember that the next time I stay late on a Sunday (like 1hr) waiting to drive 1:45hrs because some lovely customers want to socialize, after humping my ass off for the weekend making sure tanks are filled promptly, donating my own equipment so a dive isn't cancelled, free (my water) given out, help loading vehicles (not even close to my job description by the way), and picking up their trash which was dropped 5' from the can, picking up used catheters was not in my job description by the way. Just so I can get free dives (none on the w/e I dive because of being busy) and free fills. Did you catch the part about my drive to get there?

Yep, I sure feel rewarded. Face/palm

FWIW, I don't sit there with my hand out, I just do the JOB! And I still loan my gear KNOWING they don't get it by the way. Just saying.

well that s the price you pay for diving for "free" you have a choice, pay for your fills and dives or....do what you got to do to stay wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom