Tipping Etiquette for diving and course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good, I was sort of afraid to say that. What is B&B?

ch0ppersrule:
We tip based on the attitude of the DM/Instructor, dive briefing and attentiveness to us underwater. Not on what we see, you can't control sea life. You may get lucky and see a lot of life or none at all. I like my DM to try and find sea life and point it out, not jump in the water and take you around and make you find your own things to look at. I am an annoying underwater photographer that nobody likes to dive with anyways. Good thing I do mostly shore dives with the hubby.

Id be more than happy to dive with you again, after MY camera is fixed.

I have never been tipped as an instructor BUT most of my students have taken more than 1 course from me. Repeat business is much better than tips for me.

Wildcard:
Id be more than happy to dive with you again, after MY camera is fixed.

Just let me know when and where. I will bring my camera next time also. I haven't taken it out in a while so it is about time I do.

Today would have been good. Kathys working and Im not. :) But I am getting paid.. :))))

BTW, I never have tipped for a class and always make a show of asking for the tip jar and thanking the crew for a great time on a dive, just to help em out. Last week in Kona I did this specificaly to corner two european guys who had been a pain in the ***** the whole trip. I blocked the dock and asked for the tip jar. They just about broke into a run to get around me to avoid a Tip. :11:

Well, I might as well chime in here....

First of all, I NEVER ask for tips on the boat. I run a 6-pack charter boat and often have one group on board and it seems like begging to mention it. If someone asks, I tell them that while it's not mandatory, it is appreciated if we've done a good job and they enjoyed the trip. The "standard" seems to be about $5-10 per diver per half day.

One thing I do want to say from a DM's point of view is that we do more than briefing and hauling tanks. We're also prepared to do field repair on your gear, get you a band-aid for a cut, and generally make sure that if there is an issue of some sort on board that it won't impact your ability to dive. These are things that most people don't see because nothing happens, but that preparation is an important part of the job. We're also constantly assessing the dive conditions, the divers, and making judgement calls all day as to what sites are appropriate for the divers on board and whose bubbles to watch for problems. We're also prepared to jump in the water and put ourselves at risk should anyone on board need help. We also have insurance to pay and certs we need to keep updated. There's no complaint here, but if your trip was smooth as silk and seemed to run like clockwork and you had a great time, thank a DM.

As for instructors, often they aren't making more than $150 an OW student and that's a day of pool and classroom and four open water dives. If you count out the hours, that's not a lot of money if there's only 1 or 2 students. I know some people don't tip instructors, but if you got more out of the class, especially continuing ed like AOW or a specialty than a card or a few guided dives, the instructor has earned a tip, IMO.

Let me be clear on this, not every DM, captain or instructor has earned anything above and beyond what the shop is paying them, but many do go the extra mile to make your dive experience the best that it can be and for that extra effort, they deserve some extra money.

Rachel

Just a hint, if travelling overseas then check if the country is a tipping country or not.
Tipping is such a foreign concept where I live. If I am working for peanuts, then thats my problem, I should demand higher wages or find another job. Why make my problem the customers problem? They have already paid for a service and it's up to the person that collects that money at the end of the day to make sure they get what they paid for.

I would feel like a bludger taking tips. In fact people here get offended if you try to tip them...

Many due depend on the "extras". The high cost of living here in Hawaii makes it that much more challanging. I've done some sunset crusie's and usually drop a $20.00. Many of the boat crews are very accomodating and pleasant anyway.

I generally tip 20% in restaurants and on dive boats, unless the quality of the service is really great or really bad. For a 2-tank $120 trip, the tip usually winds up being either $20 or $25, depending on what bills are in my wallet at the time, and whether my dive guide was male or female. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom