Tipping protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can fake a Dutch accent.

Please explain not trying to be stupied?

Save money: Pretend you come from a country where tipping is not expected; then people expect you not to tip.

:eyebrow:

$10-$20 on 2 tank dives depending on service, 10-20% of cost of livaboard depending on service. On the last livaboard I went on a guy that went with us gave the DM a almost brand new BC, bought just for that trip, and a Scubapro MK 25/S600 reg. That was a nice tip. The DM's gear was pretty beat up.

This is always a weird topic that comes up a lot and it really depends on where you are located.

First a correct someone said that all the crew normally split the tips although this is true remember that your guide / instructor is not considered part of your crew and they do not share tips with the crew.

Here is the rule of thumb that I use, and encourage those on trips i run to go by.
Crew gets $5.00 - $10.00 per tank that I reserve based on the service provided. Note that I said that I reserve not the number of tanks that I used. If you book a 2 tank trip and you decide not to use your second tank that doesn't mean the crew should get a lower tip as a result of your decision. If you get sick on the boat unless its the crews fault you got sick (you deciding to go out on a crappy day is not the crews fault) the tip goes up cause they have to clean your vomit off the boat. If you have to be rescued by the crew (this includes being picked up because you couldnt get back to the boat) the tip doubles.

Regarding guides tip the same way you do for food service. Use the cost of your charter and the guide fee as a benchmark. If you paid $85 for the charter and an extra $50 for the guide then for the expected service its 15% of the $135.00 total rounded to a whole amount.

Instructors I use the same rule as guides 15% of total cost of instruction and charter. Yes that does mean for a standard $400 AOW course its about a $50.00 tip. If you are taking pro level training DM level or higher remember that your are still taking time from the instructor just cause you are becoming a pro doesn't mean that you suddenly are no longer getting a service from the instructor.

Most of all remember that the 15% rule of thumb is for expected service. If they went above and beyond that into consideration. Many Guides, DM's & Instructors pay for some of the services you get out of their own pocket (ie taking photos for you, the "free" drinks & snack). Instructors and guides are not required to bring your gear from your car, setup your stuff for you, etc.

DO NOT INSULT GUIDES AND INSTRUCTORS WITH TIPS THAT INCLUDE CHAGE OR $1.00 BILLS. I

Last but not least if you are on a multi day charter trip remember your crew may change daily and even trip by trip. Dont wait and tip all the last trip as the crew for that boat will be the ones keeping it all.

$5 a tank--they split it up for you how many ever ways it needs to be..........

I don't think there can be a set amount per tank, for me it all depends on the service that you receive. I know that tipping in the states is part of the culture, but in most diving locations it is always a bonus for the staff. In Thailand most DM's will earn US$30-50 for a days work, if you give them US$10 then they would be happy, as this will buy them a nice meal with drinks.

I have been doing the $5.00 per tank here in Southern California for the boat dives, ususally a three tank dive. If the service by the DM's/crew is very good then an extra 5.00.
I am not sure in the Philippines what to tip though.

I'm cheap, I tip $5 for a morning trip, $5 for an afternoon trip. I guess it's better than the people who don't tip at all.

I don't need a divemaster when I dive off of my boat or shore dive. I still think they should be payed by their employer, the employers are the ones that require them.

I'm cheap, I tip $5 for a morning trip, $5 for an afternoon trip. I guess it's better than the people who don't tip at all.

Good to see someone simply up and admit it. +1 for you.

Seriously.

I still think they should be payed by their employer, the employers are the ones that require them.

That sounds like a great sentiment in theory, and lots of people seem to share it. However you sound a bit like my five-year old who thinks he should have ice cream for dinner. What you think should happen has no bearing on the reality of the situation. Further, I can never understand how people can ignore the obvious economic reality that if the "employer" paid the boat crew...your actual cost of a charter would increase by substantially more than a $10-$20 tip. So, someone as frugal as yourself should be careful what you ask for.

Good to see someone simply up and admit it. +1 for you.

Seriously.

That sounds like a great sentiment in theory, and lots of people seem to share it. However you sound a bit like my five-year old who thinks he should have ice cream for dinner. What you think should happen has no bearing on the reality of the situation. Further, I can never understand how people can ignore the obvious economic reality that if the "employer" paid the boat crew...your actual cost of a charter would increase by substantially more than a $10-$20 tip. So, someone as frugal as yourself should be careful what you ask for.

If the cost of the charter goes up, that's the cost of doing business. The tip has become a fee that is not included in the price.

What I think has a definite bearing on the reality. It determines what I pay the divemaster and how often I use the dive boat. I don't need them, they are one option. I usually only go out on commercial boats for group functions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom