Tipping Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong, but my memory tells me that the 15% "Service Charge" added to the bill at the Clearly Cayman Resorts does not go directly to or get split by the staff. I am thinking about the bar as an example. My memory is that only the amount of extra tip you add to a bill or cash you leave goes directly to the staff. That could be the same at most or all the places in the Caymans.

Does anyone else know for certain?

I was at Cobalt Coast in January. You will probably get the same crew each day except on there day off, when there is a fill in. For 2 tank dives each DM does one dive. I never thought I’d be much for valet diving, but it can spoil you. The crew has a mailbox type of thing in the dive shop where everyone has a slot for putting in tips at the end of the week, made it easy. They were tearing down the old lockers the day we left and putting up a drying shed for gear, which, if done, you will have access to for shore and night dives.
As for cash, US is taken everywhere, but I hit an ATM and took out cash for tips and such.

Liked the mailbox system for tipping. You can walk into their shop anytime and stick your tip in for any of the staff you want to tip. Can be done daily or at the end of your diving.

As to “valet” diving, and depending on how they do things now (we were there a couple of years ago), you still may have responsibilities after your dives. For us, they got the gear to the boat, helped put gear on and take off, carried gear back to rinse tank. From that point, ie was up to us to rinse and store our own gear, which was in the individual lockers they had. Not sure how the system will work now since it looks like they have replaced it with what @Damselfish posted. Although others may disagree, as they want to take care of their own gear, I like it when the dive op rinses and stores gear for you. No matter what, you will enjoy it.

As to “valet” diving, and depending on how they do things now (we were there a couple of years ago), you still may have responsibilities after your dives. For us, they got the gear to the boat, helped put gear on and take off, carried gear back to rinse tank. From that point, ie was up to us to rinse and store our own gear, which was in the individual lockers they had. Not sure how the system will work now since it looks like they have replaced it with what @Damselfish posted. Although others may disagree, as they want to take care of their own gear, I like it when the dive op rinses and stores gear for you. No matter what, you will enjoy it.

They took care of our regs and BCs, anything attached to the tank. Can’t remember what the resort manager told us as to how it will work with the drying shed, but it will be easier to access your gear for shore and night dives.

On our trips to LCBR & CC, they rinse your BC/regs on the boat. You rinse and hang/store the rest of your gear...wetsuits, mask, fins, hardware. It's not like our valet shops in Coz where they transport and rinse everything back at the shop, but the rinse areas were handy so it was quick and easy. Glad to see CC replaced the old lockers with a new drying shed.

On our trips to LCBR & CC, they rinse your BC/regs on the boat. You rinse and hang/store the rest of your gear...wetsuits, mask, fins, hardware. The rinse areas were handy so it was quick and easy. Glad to see CC replaced the old lockers with a new drying shed.

They started tearing the lockers down while we were having breakfast on Saturday morning. It gathered quite the crowd of picture takers. It sounds like the new owners are making a lot of changes for the better.

Tipping heavy at the first opportunity on a multi day dive trip in order to get a very positive response and gets great service, and tipping less the second or third day etc, so the the average works out to a nominal amount probably would not create any hard feelings.

That is generally correct, although $0.83 Cayman (actually 0.80) has the same buying power on the island as $US 1.00. They are essentially equivalent (the Cayman dollar is fixed to the US dollar at $US 1.00 = CI 1.25, and conversely CI 1.00 = $US 0.80). So if you normally tip $US 10.00 per tank, then you can tip $CI 8.00 per tank and it will be exactly the same value. So, I usually tip CI 16.00 (or 15.00 if I don't have any 1s) for a 2-tank dive, as that is equal to $US 20.00. And if you have only US currency, then just give them US$ 20.00, as many people do. And if you feel like tipping CI 20.00, then realize that that is the same as tipping $US 25.00 (which they may well deserve).

And remember, things on the island are not more expensive because of the exchange rate, they are more expensive because it costs a lot to ship everything in, plus the government imposes a duty on everything that is imported (which is just about everything on the island except the local fish), plus there is a fair amount of wealth on the island and companies can therefore get away with higher pricing. The reason a beer costs CI 8.00 (or $US 10.00) on Grand Cayman is because it's just an expensive place to live, just like a beer costs the same $10.00 (8.00 CI) in New York City because it, too, is an expensive place to live. When exchange rates are fixed (which is not true for most countries), then the value of the currencies are essentially equivalent. When they float (like the US vs Canada) then often one currency is valued more than the other and things do get more expensive for the weaker currency country, but usually these days the dollar is the strong currency, so things are actually cheaper for us when we travel anywhere other than places like Grand Cayman.

Sorry for the pedantic digression. I unfortunately did graduate work in applied economics, and just had to put in my 1.6 cents Cayman.

Thank you! One of my pet peeves with visitors, decided not to butt in this time.... :)

Different places split the resort or restaurant fees differently. Some restaurants split the tip between everyone on the floor which I personally don’t like. If I give someone 23%+ for great service I want them to have it — not split between all the servers. We usually leave cash tips for that reason and hand them the tip saying clearly this is for you! The cost of shipping goods in plus the associated duty is what racks up our costs. I used to like the fact that costs were given in US when I was a visitor so I had an easy guideline on what I was actually spending. It is also convenient for guests from the US that many hotels, dive ops, etc quote and charge in US$. Harder for the merchant but easier for those guests.

I don't agree with you Caydiver, there are behind the scenes workers who contribute to your experience. Many businesses have a tip policy that combines all gratuities and then allocates on a proportional basis.
I think most dive shops do business this way and even if you were to hand a specific DM cash, he or she needs to work and live with their peers on a longterm basis and would most likely put the amount into the kitty. If I want to thank specific DMs for a job well done, I buy them drinks or a meal, above and beyond the usual tip.

Oh I don’t mind them getting a share by any means!!! I just mean that if we have a server who has been exceptional I want the extra to go to them! I am happy that there is a nominal amount added on for the sharing pool and adding to that to bring it passed the 15%. The cash part is for the outstanding service offered by a deserving individual who earned the extra. Having a kid who has worked in service at the hotels here and many friends in the industry who work nonstop over peak periods etc, I have nothing but admiration for them. Sorry if it came across differently! The dive boats do share. Some ops share the tips with everyone, I know some boat captains who give all the tip money to the crew (fishing, diving and charters) as their personal policy despite the op. Think that is really super. Also know of a few where the owners take a share — not so super in my opinion. Back in the day it was a regular thing to invite DMs who really went above and beyond out for drinks or a dinner. We still have a handful who do but they are becoming a rarer breed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom