Tipping the boat crew - conventions around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a working dive instructor i can tell you we not only appreciate tips but we rely on them and our wages reflect that tips are given ( some places rely on tips with no wages)-

when asked this question we always ask what you would leave in a restaurant ...

when people are happy to leave 15-25% upwards on a restaurant bill for people who merely bring them out a couple of drinks and food - it can be a bit soul destroying to think that spending all day or 1/2 a day with us where we guide you, keep you safe, set up and change your gear wash and store your gear etc is valued at so little as $5.....especially the time and training we have gone through - don't get me wrong we do this job for the love of the ocean but your tip can make the difference between us existing or living...but at the end of the day the tip should reflect the service - bad service bad tip

I always tip my dive guides well as i know how hard they work and how little they earn.................

I'd posted these images - taken on a Buddy Dive boat - on a Bonaire discussion but someone suggested I post them here.

Personally I found these to be way over the top and in really poor taste. Surely there are far more friendly ways to remind divers that tips are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1682-low-res.jpg
    IMG_1682-low-res.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1681-lowres.jpg
    IMG_1681-lowres.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 173
Poor taste is an understatement. That first one is almost threatening.

I guess in some ways Europeans want people to act like Americans?

I'd posted these images - taken on a Buddy Dive boat - on a Bonaire discussion but someone suggested I post them here.

Personally I found these to be way over the top and in really poor taste. Surely there are far more friendly ways to remind divers that tips are appreciated!

Its positively offensive to tie tipping into dive safety. Even more reason for me to avoid boat trips on Bonaire.

I was on a liveaboard in PNG a couple of years ago. I was the only American on the boat. The rest of the guests were from Italy,Austraila and New Zealand. When I went to settle my bill I handed the Purser a tip that amounted to 10% of the price of the trip. She had a surprised look on her face. I asked her if she did not feel it was an adequate amount. Her response was that she was surprised that I was leaving a tip. I was the only guest on the boat (16 of us) that left a tip. When I was in Lembeh last year, the resort manager actually asked that we not leave a tip. He said that the Americans were causing a problem by over tipping and that the crew were getting to the point where they would not take as good of care of the non Americans if there were any Americans on the boat. Essentially tipping is an American custom. I am in the service industry. I work hard for my money so that I can afford to go diving. I do not get tipped when I take care of customers. Although I do tip where it is customary, I personally do not believe that it is the guests responsibility to subsidize poorly paid employees. Working in the dive industry is not the same as relying on the service industry to make a living. People in the dive industry choose to go after the training so that they can do what they love to do.

..snip..
He said that the Americans were causing a problem by over tipping and that the crew were getting to the point where they would not take as good of care of the non Americans if there were any Americans on the boat.
..snip..

That this already happens in many places has been clear to us non-Americans for some time.

So after all that-- a 17-page, 5yo thread on top of other internet and ScubaBoard searches on the subject, I still do not have a confident picture of SCUBA tipping culture outside of US or Americas. I really wish there were more input from guides and DMs themselves, but perhaps they're too busy, you know, doing things.

I'm still wondering, according to those in the industry who know customary tipping norms, especially in the Philippines and the Maldives, what most people tip if at all.

If anybody has any questions about tipping, can't find it in a guide book, can't find it on the internet, can't get their question answered here on scubaboard, you can private message me and I will fill you in on any destination you request, just make sure you tip me afterwards./QUOTE]

The info re: non-North-American dive industry tipping doesn't really appear to be there, Mike. At least, not outside divers' personal opinions or habits.

I'm recently back from a boat in Raja Ampat. Their literature for their diver clients suggested a tip of $15/day. Is this any help to you? Before this, I've always tipped around 10% of the cost of the boat but often that seemed too high to me. In Maldives that was what the Americans that I spoke with were tipping and the Brit told me in confidence that we were all too rich for his blood.

I'm recently back from a boat in Raja Ampat. Their literature for their diver clients suggested a tip of $15/day. Is this any help to you? Before this, I've always tipped around 10% of the cost of the boat but often that seemed too high to me. In Maldives that was what the Americans that I spoke with were tipping and the Brit told me in confidence that we were all too rich for his blood.
I just give out Canadian Tire money.

Back
Top Bottom