Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently I had a diver who after 5 dives with me (bringing her to a total of 40) could still not figure out that she had to release air from her jacket when ascending.

And you did not feel she was unsafe and in need of further training? You treated her like the kid in school who has trouble learning to read, did only what you needed to for the tips and now she will move on to become someone elses problem

And you did not feel she was unsafe and in need of further training? You treated her like the kid in school who has trouble learning to read, did only what you needed to for the tips and now she will move on to become someone elses problem

:shakehead:

You're very bitter. I think you should take holiday.

The person concerned wanted to do her Advance course. I wouldn't let her until she could show me an acceptable level of buoyancy control. So I repeatedly counselled her on the BCD problem. I showed her above water and below water what the problem was, how to solve it. And yet in spite of this I ended up helping her out every dive.
So really I can't understand what else you could possibly want me to do? She was on a guided dive, she has the licence. Would you like me to take it away and make her do the course again? That is unrealistic.
I helped her in every way possible. Yes she will go away again, not dive for a whole year and then be somebody else's problem. Do I feel guilty? Of course not. I tried my best to correct the issue. Would I let her dive with me, of course, because I'm a professional and I can deal with a hell of lot of faeces underwater, I'm used it. I sincerely hope that none of my former students are inflicting problems on other instructors, I expect a lot from my students and have failed many for not achieving the standard. I doubt you can say the same.

:shakehead:

You're very bitter. I think you should take holiday. .
Not bitter at all, Just waiting for some places to open up on this fine Island so i can get to work

: And yet in spite of this I ended up helping her out every dive.So really I can't understand what else you could possibly want me to do?
Seems the perfect candidate for a refresher course, When i have found myself in this type of situation I have offered the divers the option of sitting in on complete o/w confined water sessions at no additional cost.
: Yes she will go away again, not dive for a whole year and then be somebody else's problem.
So after checking her logbbook you saw she dove once a year and then in the water saw she was not qualified yet did not feel extra one on one training or refresher was a justifiable option?

: I expect a lot from my students and have failed many for not achieving the standard. I doubt you can say the same.

You are right, I have not failed many, It is not up to me to pass or fail them, it is up to them to demonstrate they are cabable and knowledgable. I have had a few that could not complete the course but I certainly did not fail them, seems odd you are proud to fail your folks. The majority of those I have had in class who have issues more often than not end up doing fine with additional training before I issue a card and while at first they may not feel great about the extra time it is also usually a big confidence bbuilder when they find themselves in confined water and already well ahead of the new group just learning how to don their gear.

RTBDiver:
So after checking her logbbook you saw she dove once a year and then in the water saw she was not qualified yet did not feel extra one on one training or refresher was a justifiable option?

I fail to see the point in continuing this. You are not even reading my posts. I said the woman had 35 dives and had not dived in a year. I think that is acceptable.
At the end of the day Scuba Divers can go on guided dives with only 2 dives under their belt. So to take a qualified diver with 35 dives on a dive to 50 feet seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Pride in failing people? Hardly. I take pride in my work and teaching. I am liable for 7 years for any student I have taught and that is a huge burden, especially as I'm applying for the Course Director course 2 years from now. I primarily teach in a resort environment. Students normally have 3 maybe 4 days to do the course and then are normally off continuing their backpacking. This gives very little room for error. I have to be focused and strict on who can progress through the course and for those who cannot. Admittedly there are many who could pass the course given a longer time frame, but I rarely have this luxury. In fact the dive center in Roatan questioned me when courses ran into a 4th day.
I aim to train good divers. I do it for the pleasure of training. I do not work for tips, although the are welcome. But if my sole aim was simply to garner $$ then it would be time to find another job.

This thread is a great example of why this board is slow. The same people ruin the spirit of the board by being confrontational and petty. Too bad because it could be such a great tool for promoting the Bay Islands,the people who regularly frequent the Bay Islands and diving in general.

I'm not entirely sure whom you are upset with Steve. I thot that most of it was a pretty good exchange of views, even tho some of us may come across heavy at times - me included. I don't mean to be so, but still happens.

The bad day story from the DM who needed a battery powered alarm clock, a car tuneup and his keys with a matched pair of sandals reminded me of this tale...
Upon arriving home, a husband was met at the door by his sobbing wife. Tearfully she explained,

"It's the druggist. He insulted me terribly this morning on the phone. I had to call multiple times before he would even answer the phone, then he was so rude."

Immediately, the husband drove downtown to confront the druggist and demand an apology

Before he could say more than a word or two, the druggist told him, "Now, just a minute, listen to my side of it. This morning the alarm Failed to go off, so I was late getting up. I went without breakfast and hurried out to the car, just to realize that I'd locked the house with both house and car keys inside and had to break a window to get my keys.

"Then, driving a little too fast, I got a speeding ticket. Later, when I was about three blocks from the store, I had a flat tire."

"When I finally got to the store a bunch of people were waiting for me to open up. I got the store opened and started waiting on these people, all the time
The darn phone was ringing off the hook."

He continued, "Then I had to break a roll of nickels against the cash register drawer to make change, and they spilled all over the floor. I had to get down on my hands and knees to pick up the nickels and te phone was still ringing.

When I came up I cracked my head on the open cash drawer, which made me stagger back against a showcase with a bunch of perfume bottles on it.
Half of them hit the floor and broke."

"Meanwhile, the phone is still ringing with no let up, and I finally got back to answer it. It was your wife. She wanted to know how to use a Rectal thermometer.

And believe me mister, as God is my witness, all I did was tell her." :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom