Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm dismayed it might happen here we have some parts of government and business that seem hell bent on importing the worst parts of US culture and policies.

I'm dismayed it might happen here we have some parts of government and business that seem hell bent on importing the worst parts of US culture and policies.
Yeah maybe. They've been saying that in Canada since I came here 40 years ago.

Here on the Great Lakes, you've got the captain and perhaps 1 crew member on the boat. A DM in the water is not that common. The DM and crew may be the same person. I tip $20 each for captain and crew. I will often give more - crew or captain have hauled my gear back to my car on more than one occasion upon seeing me limping after dives. Or last weekend when conditions were really rough on the lake and captain/crewman hauled me onto the swim platform. Since I need some extra help due to my knees, I consider that going above and beyond.

If you schlep my gear when I'm beat, I'll tip you really well. :)

Yes. And don't forget Canada is the same.

On a recent trip to Tobermory, Canada, we gave the boat crew about 10% almost every day. The crew helped us tremendously with things like donning drysuit gloves, which we were newbies with, and helping us load and unload our gear (two sets of steel doubles) from the boat. The crew worked hard to make our trip enjoyable. The exception was the one day when the owner of the dive op was also our captain, and the rest of his "crew" were (I think) DMs in training who didn't help the customers at all. We were the only Americans on the boat, and I'm certain we were the only ones who tipped. As my philosophy (see posts above) is generally to tip (or not tip) according to whatever the local practice may be, I was really in a quandary. I felt these guys worked harder than your average crew down in Florida and really helped make our trip special.

Here on the Great Lakes, you've got the captain and perhaps 1 crew member on the boat. A DM in the water is not that common. The DM and crew may be the same person. I tip $20 each for captain and crew. I will often give more - crew or captain have hauled my gear back to my car on more than one occasion upon seeing me limping after dives. Or last weekend when conditions were really rough on the lake and captain/crewman hauled me onto the swim platform. Since I need some extra help due to my knees, I consider that going above and beyond.

So £40 on top of the price they listed for the dive?

I pay £50 for 2 boat dives this included skipper and fuel no DM unless you pay extra to have a guide there is no tip expected or requested

On a recent trip to Tobermory, Canada, we gave the boat crew about 10% almost every day. The crew helped us tremendously with things like donning drysuit gloves, which we were newbies with, and helping us load and unload our gear (two sets of steel doubles) from the boat. The crew worked hard to make our trip enjoyable. The exception was the one day when the owner of the dive op was also our captain, and the rest of his "crew" were (I think) DMs in training who didn't help the customers at all. We were the only Americans on the boat, and I'm certain we were the only ones who tipped. As my philosophy (see posts above) is generally to tip (or not tip) according to whatever the local practice may be, I was really in a quandary. I felt these guys worked harder than your average crew down in Florida and really helped make our trip special.
To most people outside of the US this level of customer service is expected as standard without having to pay extra for

To most people outside of the US this level of customer service is expected as standard without having to pay extra for
Thanks Daniel! I wasn't sure how you felt about the subject, but I think I'm starting to get the picture. :rofl3:

That's a fascinating perspective.

Back
Top Bottom