Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bartenders provide what could be considered "counter service," and it's traditional (in the US) to tip them. And if you want them not to ignore you when you want another drink, you'd better tip them properly. So when coffee baristas started putting out the tip jar, maybe it wasn't quite as radical as it seemed at first? I find myself tipping baristas now. I tip at food trucks as well, even though the people behind the counter likely own the truck. Like a lot of people, I am ambivalent--no, make that completely confused--about tipping for counter service.
If I'm only ordering drinks at the bar then I add $1 for each drink ordered. This applies to coffee shops as well. If I'm eating at the bar then I default to 18-20% depending on service. Sometimes more, sometimes less. There's no way I'm tipping my drink servant 20% for pouring a beer or mixing a cocktail for my wife.

If I'm only ordering drinks at the bar then I add $1 for each drink ordered. This applies to coffee shops as well. If I'm eating at the bar then I default to 18-20% depending on service. Sometimes more, sometimes less. There's no way I'm tipping my drink servant 20% for pouring a beer or mixing a cocktail for my wife.
I do what you do. I don't think "tip" necessarily means a percentage.

I'll jump back in with an observation. Two tank dive trip fairly typical pricing seems to be $125. At 20%, that's a $25 tip or $12.50/tank.

Does the answer change if you put your gear on the first tank and transfer it to the second tank? Are you tipping for having the tanks on the boat when you get there? The boat to be clean? Snacks and beverages? The stories shared by the crew? The dive master that leads the dive? What if there is no divemaster?

Asking all of those questions to get to the core of why and/or what are you tipping for?

Going back through my original post, the numbers given were $20/day in the US and $10/day Mexico. Seems I was given bad info based on thread responses.

Still curious though, what are the tips for?

Bartenders provide what could be considered "counter service," and it's traditional (in the US) to tip them. And if you want them not to ignore you when you want another drink, you'd better tip them properly. So when coffee baristas started putting out the tip jar, maybe it wasn't quite as radical as it seemed at first? I find myself tipping baristas now. I tip at food trucks as well, even though the people behind the counter likely own the truck. Like a lot of people, I am ambivalent--no, make that completely confused--about tipping for counter service.
You are assuming bartenders make the same minimum wage as a barista...they don't. Bartender (and waiter) salaries are considered "tipped wages" and employers are not required to pay them the same federal minimum wage as a barista...that's why you tip your bartender and why tipping baristas is stupid.

You are assuming bartenders make the same minimum wage as a barista...they don't. Bartender (and waiter) salaries are considered "tipped wages" and employers are not required to pay them the same federal minimum wage as a barista...that's why you tip your bartender and why tipping baristas is stupid.
That's entirely dependent on the state they're working in.

I kinda struggle with dive tipping myself. And every time I go to Cozumel, I have to Google or look up on old Scubaboard threads how much to tip.
So, does it matter if say it’s my wife and I for a one week vacation. We are probably going to dive 6 days with maybe a night dive thrown in the middle of the week. At $10 bucks a tank, times two people for six days is $240 plus $20 for a one tank night dive =$260. That is what I traditionally tip in Cozumel and it always seems high to me. It seems high because the bill from the dive shop will be around $1100-1200. I always think I should tip less because they are making money off me for a whole week, instead of a one off dive for one day.
So, in a long winded roundabout question, does the amount of tipping matter compared to number of days diving?

Good point. However, now that everyone is requesting a tip, it's not immediately obvious to some customers, such as myself, whether an employee is paid the "tipped minimum wage" or the regular minimum wage. I would have to ask them, which seems a bit awkward.

Ok...?

32 US States pay bartenders/waiters between $2.13 and $5 per hour.

Zero US states pay baristas under $7.25 per hour.
I guess it boils down to if you don't want minimum or below minimum wage then get a trade or a degree that is worthwhile. The other option is join the military and learn a trade there. Tips are to appreciate exemplary service, not offset low pay for mediocre service.

So, in a long winded roundabout question, does the amount of tipping matter compared to number of days diving?
I wonder about this as well. Also if diving in a group versus single diver also saves the dive op some money.

Back
Top Bottom