Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starpilottom:
I'd like to thank Mania for his tips on traveling to Egypt. I was leary about going there because of my nationality but he gave me a good report and I will be headed there in June. Thanks Tom
*whap whap whap*

That's the sound of what Mania would do to you if she could reach you when she finds out what you wrote...

:D

But she does know Egypt, doesn't she?

Where you headed, Tom? We should be in Dahab in July.

--Marek

Well
Yes, I'm a woman. At least I was the last time I was taking a shower which was today morning
:D
Thanks Mark...

cheers
Mania

Hi Mania and others .

Hopefully going in August , thanks for the hints and tips .Good reading .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Great tips all around, guys!

I travelled to Egypt in December, right after 9/11. We had arranged the trip way before 9/11, and considered cancelling after. Then we got mad and decided that we were not going to let it ruin our trip.

Anyway, we were treated very well. Several Egyptians, upon learning we were from the USA, actually approached us and told us they were very sorry for what happened.

Security was very tight and our group of five Americans were required to travel with an armed guard most of the time. We felt safe and secure, every step of the way.

If you are single and travelling to any touristy type areas, get yourself a cheap "wedding band". This even helps in certain situation back here in the states. Also, zip-off type pants, loose-fitting, of course, are invaluable for travelling from one area to the next in comfort while still being able to be "up to code" in more "formal" situations.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel to many places around the world. I have found that generally, if I am polite and respectful of the people I come into contact with, most interactions are very positive and fun. It's important to learn the cultures of the places you intend to visit, respect those cultures and, above all, have a good sense of humor!

We see in Sharm almost all nationalities, even Israelis are treated well in Egypt.
The strange thing is, we don't see Americans in Sharm. I just think the American Media is delivering the wrong message about the Egyptian people feelings towards the Americans.
Egypt is the land of peace. :wink:

You're definitely right about our media. As travelers, it's our responsibility to research the areas which we intend to visit and to make our own judgements from there.

Jcsgt,
it's real pleasure meeting people with ur mentality .. hope to see u in Sharm soon :)

Right now, we already have two dive trips scheduled in other parts of the world, but Sharm is definitely on the radar, hopefully in 2007!

I do apologize to mania for the gender error. I am currently working an overseas contract in a hostile area. It's a man camp with with only 5 computers for 400 people. I just scan as quickly as quickly as I can. I'll be at the Hilton waterfalls in June around the 14th for an R&R. Like to buy you a drink if you happen to be in the neighborhood. Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom