Tips for the 10 minute treading portion of OW certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can float (barely) in salt water--learned how to do that on my back at maybe age 7. Nose and part of face barely out of water. No way in fresh water other than the drown--proofing. Everyone's body makeup different--bone density, muscle, fat, etc. Some techniques described just don't work for some of us.

Yes, the likelihood of needing to swim (without fins) while on a scuba day are almost nil. But as one very experienced instructor on SB once said--Swimming is a life skill. I'll add that it is something everyone should be able to do unless they are never in or near water that may approach over their head.

That works until the day you jump off the boat without your fins . . .

Or fall off the boarding ladder . . .

That works until the day you jump off the boat without your fins . . .

Or fall off the boarding ladder . . .
Yeah, but you have your BC partially inflated first (if it leaks, drop weights and float in thick wetsuit--if you wear that). I DID once enter the water without my fins. My most embarrassing moment I guess. They were back in the trailer 50 miles away, as a WALKED into the water. Lifeguards lent me a pair. What was I gunna do--walk the entire dive?

LOL

I was in Cook Islands and rolled off but found I wasn't making my usual headway. Everyone had a very good laugh at my expense including me. Even though I was floating just fine, getting back to the boat for my fins wasn't as easy as one would think.

So, what I'm trying to say is, a scuba diver (or someone taking up scuba) will really be better off if comfy in the water, prior to lessons. Lots of things can happen in the water that are easily dealt with, brushed off and forgotten when the diver is comfortable in the water and confident in their ability to float or breast stroke back to the boat for their fins. It will be different for those not already comfortable.

So, how are your knees? Yeah, seeming an off the wall dumb question, but no.
I have, have had, will always have knees that no 90 year old would trade for.
Want to cheat out floating??
A nice side effect of my bad knees are the mid thigh to calf length neoprene sleeves I Wear.
Lay back on the surface, let my feet dangle deep, slow shallow breaths. Can do it all day long. So, maybe between now and then you can develop a knee issue?

Thanks for all the pointers.

When I was in Grand Cayman last month I actually tried "staying afloat" for like 5 minutes straight while in the ocean and it was noticeably easier than I expected. I didn't just stay in one spot the whole time, I'd kind of move around slowly, tread for a minute, try to float with my face facing upwards and almost underwater, etc. I know the pool won't be quite as easy as salt water, but that made me feel a bit better about it.

I just signed up for my class which is November 10th and 11th so I'll know sooner or later how I do in it!

Honestly I think you're psyching yourself up for no reason my friend. It's not 10 minutes of treading water. It's a ten minute "Safety Swim" which is basically keep your face above water (nose and/or mouth) for that time period. And if your face dips below the surface it's not going to fail you. It's basically to see if you can keep yourself on the surface and testing your watermanship. I guaranty you that once it's done and over with you'll wonder why you were so concerned about it. Try not to let yourself get too worked up over it and you'll do just fine. Really....it's cake! Just get in the water, relax, and get it done.

FWIW I'm in dive master training and I believe my next safety swim is 20 minutes with the last 2 minutes having my arms and hands out of the water above me. Trust me.....you can do this.

And if your face dips below the surface it's not going to fail you. It's basically to see if you can keep yourself on the surface and testing your watermanship.
There is no requirement to keep their face above water. I don't teach OW classes anymore, but when I did, I told my students that the rule was to stay in the water for 10 minutes without drowning. I told them that anyone who drowns during the exercise automatically failed the class, with no refund.

Two students in my group treaded water. My daughter did a starfish float on her back and took a light nap. I swam a slow breastroke. We all passed.

... the last 2 minutes having my arms and hands out of the water above me.

That's easy: just float on your back with arms up. :D

Back
Top Bottom